Errors per position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
At the younger ages, it is probably easier to be an adequate SS than it is to be an adequate 3B. At some point your ceiling as a SS is limited by your athleticism.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At the younger ages, it is probably easier to be an adequate SS than it is to be an adequate 3B. At some point your ceiling as a SS is limited by your athleticism.
Perhaps athleticism level is the ceiling at all positions.
Because it can dictate level of productive outcome.

Jun 8, 2016
Perhaps athleticism level is the ceiling at all positions.
Because it can dictate level of productive outcome.
Fair enough.

Edit: Better stated, different positions require different levels (or perhaps types) of athleticism to be great. At the younger ages, a limiting factor at 3B is often still some fear of hard hit balls.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Fair enough.

Edit: Better stated, different positions require different levels (or perhaps types) of athleticism to be great. At the younger ages, a limiting factor at 3B is often still some fear of hard hit balls.
Thats an interesting 'mehhh maybe'...?
Considering how many kids start off wanting to pitch.
Closer and mid field.
💁

Could it be more personality based?
Atleast until development kicks in ???

Jun 8, 2016
Thats an interesting 'mehhh maybe'...?
Considering how many kids start off wanting to pitch.
Closer and mid field.
💁

Could it be more personality based?
Atleast until development kicks in ???
Which statement of mine (I made 2) are you responding to?

Dec 2, 2019
I will give you a 7yo perspective on this since my daughter plays 3b and SS. She prefers 3b because she says the ball doesn't have to go as far to get to her. At 8u we don't always play on the best fields and balls to SS take some nasty hops. She has been drilled by line drives a half dozen or so times since last year, so she doesn't care about being closer to the batter, bad hops really piss her off.

Sep 9, 2019
DD could be considered an excellent 2b. Recruiting is focused on this position. New team has her at 3rd for eed and her reaction speed. Not the strongest arm but quick release. It is scary for me. She took a laser off the knee in the very 1st game of a showcase with several coaches coming to see her and watching online. She is not the prototypical sizable 3b. She received a call and offer the following Monday mostly because she played the remainder 5 games of the weekend with a noticeable limp at times.
6 years at 2nd and SS, 40 games at 3rd. What shoukd be considered tough scoring, fielding pct:
2nd 98.7
SS 96.2
3rd 92.4 including smash off the knee from 40 ft

3rd to me clearly has the most opportunity for errors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802