Errors per position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
In small sample sized defensive stats are almost useless. Since we don't have stat cast to guide we have to go on numbers but often the best middle infielders will get a lot of throwing errors because they get to a lot of balls and are off balance. I would like to see more reasons in the on line scoring to at least be able to count forces versus unforced.

Mar 8, 2016
No problem. I have the benefit of a dd who started off her career at 1B and saying the phrase "that is why it is better to play 1b than 3B" to her a bunch after she had bobbled a ball and still gotten the out.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
No problem. I have the benefit of a dd who started off her career at 1B and saying the phrase "that is why it is better to play 1b than 3B" to her a bunch after she had bobbled a ball and still gotten the out.

That's actually the one position that DD has not been able to play well. I can probably count on one hand how many times she's played 1B ;)

Oct 4, 2018
In 2019 in MLB there were 553 errors made at SS, 526 errors at 3B, 366 errors at 2B and 301 errors at 1B. Fielding percentages were .971 at SS, .960 at 3B, .982 at 2B and .993 at 1B

Do those fielding percentages for the 1B count catching a ball thrown to them for a put out?

I've noticed 1B usually has really high fielding percentages because those are counted (by Game Changer).

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I wish there was some way to tell the difference with 1B and C where they are just merely catching the ball or catching the ball on a strike out. It'd be beneficial to know which ones they fielded themselves vs it just being thrown at them. 1B and C always skew the #s.

Jun 8, 2016
I wish there was some way to tell the difference with 1B and C where they are just merely catching the ball or catching the ball on a strike out. It'd be beneficial to know which ones they fielded themselves vs it just being thrown at them. 1B and C always skew the #s.
Beneficial for what? Using errors to understand how good somebody is as a fielder (or when comparing positions), in particular when you get beyond 12U/14U, is sort of useless. Like I said, if you want to use statistics to measure how good a fielder is there are a lot better metrics.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
In 2019 in MLB there were 553 errors made at SS, 526 errors at 3B, 366 errors at 2B and 301 errors at 1B. Fielding percentages were .971 at SS, .960 at 3B, .982 at 2B and .993 at 1B
To me the more interesting part is how many were throwing errors. I'll wager a few pesos throwing errors out numbered fielding errors in MLB.

What do you guys see more of throwing or fielding errors in softball?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma

I suspect that at least in 12u and below there are more throwing errors (actual errors- not errors scored by the parent running GC who thinks their kid should be playing SS instead of the girl that's out there), for some of the reasons being debated in the other current thread about errors. There is still a decent chunk of kids who can't or won't get into position to qualify to make a fielding error to begin with.

If you take the technical definition of what an error is out of it, I suspect it's fielding that causes more "What am I watching?" moments.

Jun 8, 2016
With DD's 12U team I would say it is about 50/50, eg 50 throwing errors per game and 50 fielding errors per game.

Edit: Of course I am not counting mental errors and coaching errors in which case I would be better off using exponential notation to quantify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802