Errors per position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Just a question - is it normal for 3B to have the most errors on the team. Or what is the % of errors for which position? On DD's HS team and her old travel team - 3b always had the most errors - but they also tend to have the most balls hit their way. I always thought SS usually got the most chances.

Oct 4, 2018
It's a good question. It's more a factor of where the ball is hit, right? If 500 balls get hit to the 2B and only 10 to 3B, your 2B will have the most errors.

However, of course the throw from 3B is harder and longer. So I could see 3B having more errors in general.

We check the Fielding Percentage stat in Game Changer. (Total Chances - Errors) / Total Chances

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Yea usually because there are so many chances the % isn't that bad. But just wasn't sure if there was something different about 3B that does not affect 1B. Taking out throws and just fielding the ball - of course this depends on how the batter hits vs how fast the pitcher throws.
And maybe we just don't face a lot of lefty batters and most of the lefties we see are slappers so they're not hitting the super hard balls at 1B.

I was trying to find a % of errors or even fielding chances per position for MLB.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, way more hot shots (and hits in general) go to third than first. I'd be interested in the stats too.

Big bats with average gloves are often hidden at 1B.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about stats for the College WS? Lot more slapping/bunting is fastpitch giving 3B more chances to rush and make a mistake.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say comparatively, playing 3B and SS is harder in terms of fielding % / # of errors in FP than baseball since you rarely can replay a ball in FP while in baseball you typically have more time. Yes the throws are longer and you have to cover more ground, but typically errors are not given on balls where you range a good amount and have to make a longer throw. If you put MLB 3B and SS on a FP field I would be willing to bet they would make more errors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28