ERA and Innings Pitched..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2019
I'm not good with statistics, but I'm curious about era and innings pitched.. I'm not even sure how to ask the question..LOL! When looking at a pitcher's era do you also consider the number of innings they have pitched? For example..Pitcher one has pitched 100 innings with an era of 4.50 Vs. another pitcher that has pitched 27 innings and has an era of 0.77.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
As I understand it, ERA calculations definitely consider the number of innings pitched, and are then normalized to 7 innings.

ERA = (# Earned Runs / # Innings Pitched) * 7

if you work backwards with your examples above, the 100 inning pitcher has given up ~64 runs and the 27 inning pitcher has given up ~3 runs.

Sep 19, 2018
Yes. No. To what end? Understanding your sample size is very helpful.

One bad inning out of 27, can really mess with an ERA. Not nearly as much when the pitcher has thrown 100 inning.

Only getting a few starts facing a couple of really weak teams, can do wonders for your ERA.

The larger the sample size, the more likely it is to truly reflect performance.

Is that what you are looking for?

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not good with statistics, but I'm curious about era and innings pitched.. I'm not even sure how to ask the question..LOL! When looking at a pitcher's era do you also consider the number of innings they have pitched? For example..Pitcher one has pitched 100 innings with an era of 4.50 Vs. another pitcher that has pitched 27 innings and has an era of 0.77.

I'd take pitcher B.

:)

Once innings pitched is over 20-30 or so, I ignore that. The ERA factors that in. Extreme example. Is the pitcher who pitched 1 inning of shut-out ball and has an ERA of 0.00 better than the pitcher with 50 innings of 2.00 ERA? Too early to know.

Feb 25, 2019
Yes. No. To what end? Understanding your sample size is very helpful.

One bad inning out of 27, can really mess with an ERA. Not nearly as much when the pitcher has thrown 100 inning.

Only getting a few starts facing a couple of really weak teams, can do wonders for your ERA.

The larger the sample size, the more likely it is to truly reflect performance.

Is that what you are looking for?
Thanks.. I'm just curious how it all works. I was never interested in statistics, but now that my daughter is in college I'm trying to learn what it's all about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812