Equipment Pick-Up Ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Simple question but something I haven't given consideration to until a practice or two ago. Rec-level league - 15 girls.

What do some of you coaches do in terms of your girls picking up equipment at the ends of games/practices to ensure every girl is doing their fair share? I've had one or two girls that always seem like they are there at the end of practice, picking up the last little bits of gear left over by other girls. I run this team by myself, so it's not a surprise that a girl might 'act' like she's helping but actually sneaks away and leaves.

I've not been a big idea of schedules just because it's extra work to ensure the pie is cut equally. I've thought about just switching around parts of my practice: I normally do some kind of scrimmage/contest at the end of practice, THEN we pick up gear, etc. Perhaps I just reverse this? What are some SUCCESSFUL ideas that you coaches have implemented for your teams? All ideas will be considered. Thanks!

May 6, 2015
no one leaves, drinks, puts away personal gear or goes into dugout or wherever all the girls gear was kept (we have practiced on fields without dugouts) until team gear is all squared away (possible exception for catchers, if they had their gear on during the practice). and will give you a minute to think about what you want to say before they leave (reminder about next practice game, good practice, or we have to work harder, whatever).

May 29, 2015
It isn't hard to make a schedule. Take the number of practices, divide it out, and assign 2, 3, or 4 girls each time. You might even break up the job duties (batting helmets, balls, training devices, water bottles and trash). Then remind the girls that a TEAM works together, not just plays together.

Saying "everybody every time" will result in the same thing -- a few girls doing it while the rest stand around and look on. Partially because it doesn't take 10-15 kids to clean up, there isn't enough work.

When my girls played school ball, our coach drove me up a wall. Her procedure was always low-girls-on-the-totem-pole did everything while the upper classes (seniors, juniors, 8th graders in MS) did nothing, not even carry anything. Sorry coach, this is a TEAM, not a "carry my jock" club.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802