Enlighten me on hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2008
I have 3 DD's 8 and 9(almost 10).

8 yr old hits great despite a few problems.9 yr old allstar has issues.

I am trying to improve my coaching skills so
correct me or add anything I do not understand:

Small amount of rhythm at stance

Negative move with arms while lifting front heal and moving weight to rear.

Toe touch-Positive movement forward with back elbow leading way(this is where I get lost) and bending downward and forward while hands extend arms out to plane of ball.

Rotating hips

After contact following thru all the way without turning wrists over.

I know I do not have it right but since I am trying to improve thier hitting I have to get the basic swing right as most around my area are lost.

The 8 yr old I have found through video initiates the back elbow but it seems to lead past or even with hands which looks like the 2 elbows are facing the pitcher at contact point.

I have been reading alot here but different ideas everyone has seems to get me more confused.LOL.I have the Candria videos and have watched them but even on those he states the elbow initiates the positive move ,but then do the hands pass the elbow or are they even going thru the zone?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
NW-

If you try to follow candrea, you might find it useful to practice throwing and swinging together trying to re-enforce what is similar and what is different between the 2.

Is the candrea info you have the same as this:

http://www.georgiascout.net/REFERENCE LIBRARY.htm

The first "linear" part of the swing is the loading sequence that is so similar between throwing and swinging, up to the point of toe touch/just before establishing "connection".

candrea and Slaught like to describe back elbow slotting as the thing that starts "rotation", I'm not sure they how they think of the elbow in relation to the positive move which starts earlier.

The back elbow going up and back as the hands load up and in is what accompanies the positive move and prepares for the "coil" which is what starts when the back elbow starts down.

here is a link to a description of throwing so you can see if you think this action feels similar:

Tons of softball drills, softball tips, and advice on softball hitting, softball pitching, coaching softball, softball training, and more. - View Single Post - Hitting Questions?

more detail in thread:

Developing better arm action.

Candrea's emphasis is on "live and independent hands" to try to get a good MLB type swing with addition/summation of well sequenced body segments. The main problem he sees that differentiate good MLB hitters fron the rest is the gate swing where the hands just follow the shoulders with alligator arms/too much body rotation/spin.

The throwing arm action is very helpful in learning how to cock the hips and shift the weight and coil the body to prepare the swing.

Dec 10, 2008
Yes,thats the videos I have.I am just trying to stick with something here early one that is easier for me that i can teach them.Thanks i will start reading now.

May 12, 2008
I have 3 DD's 8 and 9(almost 10).

8 yr old hits great despite a few problems.9 yr old allstar has issues.

I am trying to improve my coaching skills so
correct me or add anything I do not understand:

Small amount of rhythm at stance

Negative move with arms while lifting front heal and moving weight to rear.

Toe touch-Positive movement forward with back elbow leading way(this is where I get lost) and bending downward and forward while hands extend arms out to plane of ball.

Rotating hips

After contact following thru all the way without turning wrists over.

I know I do not have it right but since I am trying to improve thier hitting I have to get the basic swing right as most around my area are lost.

The 8 yr old I have found through video initiates the back elbow but it seems to lead past or even with hands which looks like the 2 elbows are facing the pitcher at contact point.

I have been reading alot here but different ideas everyone has seems to get me more confused.LOL.I have the Candria videos and have watched them but even on those he states the elbow initiates the positive move ,but then do the hands pass the elbow or are they even going thru the zone?

It's easy to get confused on any public board. Remember the old saying about too many cooks spoil the stew. I'd suggest working with the videos you have assuming the Candrea videos are the ones he did with Right View. If you can't get the feedback you need, I'd suggest picking either Yeager, or my choice, Englishbey. Get their stuff and work that. I understand Yeager offers feedback. Englishbey has a website offering mega feedback on any question or especially on any clip you want to post.

May 12, 2008
I assume you are jesting since, though I've disagreed with you in the past on hitting, I've never thought you were petty?

Dec 10, 2008
Here is a video of last night on tee.I have the tee up higher because thats where She has issues.Low balls seem to be no problem.I know its because of her mechanics.

What I see: She isn't totally free on negative with arms. Balance is still iffy. The arms is where i lose it. It seems the front arm is not pulling through,instead bunching up at shoulder.The more I look at the video,it appears to be more front arm then back.

I want to pick this apart so I can learn more. Can you help me out?If its the front arm, will one arm drills help fix?Thanks.I appreciate any help you can give.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CC8_0bKRXV4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CC8_0bKRXV4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28