Enlighten me on hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Cues and suggestions for your daughter

NWITom, that's a pretty good swing for a nine-year-old! If I was going to add my two cents without a lot of the biomechanical breakdown you see on here sometimes, here's what I would offer a nine-year-old:

1. Her back foot could pivot a bit more (not squishing a bug, but heel comes off the ground while pivoting on the ball/toe of the back foot). We tell young hitters to point the back knee to the pitcher. This rotates the hips a bit more and gives the hitter more power and takes advantage of the lower body muscles.

2. Her hips should not only rotate, but they should also move forward through the swing. Looking at the video, the belly button moves backward at load (which is good!), but it never really passes its starting point as she's swinging the bat. The "Happy Gilmore" drill (walkthrough drill/step behind drill) works to teach that weight transfer.

3. It looks like she hits behind the ball rather than inside the ball. A cue we use with our high school hitters is hitting the inside seam. Place a seamed ball on the tee where the back of the ball has its seams running like train tracks top to bottom (ll). The hitter should try to hit that inside seam no matter where the tee is placed (inside, down the middle, outside). It teaches the hitter to be "short to the ball" and stay "inside the ball."

4. Also, have her finish higher with her bat. It seems to finish pretty flat, and we like to have our hitters hit through the ball and finish with the bat high.

I wouldn't throw all of these things at your daughter all at once. Personally, I would work in the order listed above, and not move from one correction area to the next before she's mastered each one. It's a lot of information for a kid to handle all at once.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with all of your daughters!

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Nit- This is a typical beginner arm swing where she drags the bat by getting weight forward and pulling from the front with the arms.

She needs to learn how to use the whole body in a different pattern that is easiest to learn first in throwing. learn to get sideways (stance), cok hips (neg move), stride (pos move), cock arm (keep back elbow up), use glove arm to avoid flying open,etc.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with Tom. We teach throwing first and then relate it to hitting. We have never had a girl yet that throws bad and hits good. 4. Above is easy to teach and I'm guessing since I cannot see the Video she hits her back. Top hand on bat turn it over so , this forces it to release during the swing and will give her the feeling of releasing high. MountieSB has some good points. 3. I learned from Bastian. Cut 1/3 of the softball off. Now have her always think I can never hit the outer 1/3 of the softball. He had all of his Olympic girls carry 2/3 of a softball around with them. My dd has one hanging on her bat bag, to remind her every time she goes to bat. I actually took it a step further and had her hit 2/3 of a softball off the T. You have to do what MountieSb stated, or you have a wounded duck coming off the T. Instant feedback.

May 12, 2008
Nit- This is a typical beginner arm swing where she drags the bat by getting weight forward and pulling from the front with the arms.

Ring the bell and mark the calendar. I agree with Tom for once. She needs to learn a totally different pattern in all areas. See if you recognize her arm usage in 21 to 25 of the link below. Tom and I will disagree on the cure. I suggest studying Englishbey. Yeager and Right View would be my second choices. Still good though. Register on Englishbey's free public side and read everything in the clip analysis section to start with. Reading anything on here that Boardmember or Ssarge wrote would be good.

Analysis

As to all that throwing teaches hitting stuff, that's going to be problematic for that kid who throws right and bats left.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
My "belief" is even if you turn the hitter around so the throwing arm is in the front, the body still learns from using the throw pattern. there is some research supporting this crossover type effect.

Hitting lefty is a pretty big advantage in fp, but even if you slap a lot lefty you should work on the power swing too.

theoretically speaking, SB brings up the look of the spinning bat type followthrough that used to be so pouplar lots of coaches were trying to get kids to slap themselves on the back of the shoulder with the bat. What happens here can be understood with mankin's swing model which separates the swing mechanically in to torque and chp components.

The CHP component is how the MLB hitter uses the body/addition to power the swing, establishing connection and staying connected until contact.

The torque component supplements and make the hands the site of control for the swing timing/trajectory.

Most kids do not connect well and are missing the CHP component, and instead they have to power their swing too much by hand torque, often to the point of the swing being a "torque only" swing which is what produces the spin around the hands/slap yopurself in the back followthrough.

When the swing is powered instead by an optimal blend of torrque and CHP, you get the power V/top hand release type "extension sequence" that candrea describes for example.

Dec 10, 2008

She needs to learn how to use the whole body in a different pattern that is easiest to learn first in throwing. learn to get sideways (stance), cok hips (neg move), stride (pos move), cock arm (keep back elbow up), use glove arm to avoid flying open,etc.

Okay.I can see the dragging effect.The throwing motion is what we have been working on the way Candria shows it,but just a little.

Question is ,how much of the throwing drill do I do?Does this solve the problem?Do I stay away from the tee? So what you are saying is her weight gets forward in front of her hands when it should be reversed,like the weight pushing the hands?Not sure if I have that right.

Does the whiphit help correct this problem?Or are they too young for something like that?

I seen the happy gilmore drill and I get the reason for it.I can do drills all day with them but I have to know what to do and why.

I would love to send my girls to an instructor early so I can learn as well as them but I cannot find anyone close by.If anyone knows of a good one in Valpo area let me know.

Funny,same DD has been pitching with an instructor for a few months and it seems hitting is same deal.Break it all down to steps and try to correct the bad tendencies.I appreciate the help.Keep educating me.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I would do the throwing drills with backward and forward chaining and long toss and burn out and do the Candrea/Enquist swing drills and keep it fun.

It will take a couple of seasons to get a good throw sequence, then you can work more on explicitly carrying over the throw pattern to the swing.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is something I have found useful on tee work. At least to get things heading in a good direction. Start her at the point of contact where she would actually make contact with the ball. Determine what this would look like by checking out some images of good hitters at the point of contact. Watch some of the college clips on this sight to understand the sequence of the hips, arms and shoulders. Then have her work backwards slowly to the launch position trying to model this sequence as you understand it. Have her pay attention to the sequence of how she gets to point of contact working backwards then forward in slo-mo. The pattern will be very different than the current swing and she'll love it as she gains quickness and success.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Here is something I have found useful on tee work. At least to get things heading in a good direction. Start her at the point of contact where she would actually make contact with the ball. Determine what this would look like by checking out some images of good hitters at the point of contact. Watch some of the college clips on this sight to understand the sequence of the hips, arms and shoulders. Then have her work backwards slowly to the launch position trying to model this sequence as you understand it. Have her pay attention to the sequence of how she gets to point of contact working backwards then forward in slo-mo. The pattern will be very different than the current swing and she'll love it as she gains quickness and success.

This is a technique that Patrick Murphy uses on his hitting videos. I really like it as well, especially for young hitters. Good post, lhowser!

Dec 10, 2008
Sounds promising.Thanks ,we will try that.

I am wondering though.Is the whipit something that they can learn with?

It looks like it would force them to swing straight to the ball correctly or else.It seems the feedback might work.Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802