Enforce the rule or get rid of it!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I know that I am beating a dead horse here but they need to either enforce the crow hop/leaping rule or get rid of it. I am so tired of watching pitchers (college pitchers in particular) break the rule and it not get called. Yesterday I was watching the WCWS game between Oklahoma and Washington and Gabbie Plain was coming way off the ground with every pitch. The commentators even talked about her struggle coming to the US from Australia and conforming to the rule - they showed a side view of her last pitch where her drag foot was way off the ground and mentioned how she had been called for 8 illegal pitches in one game this season.

I know that there are lots of opinions on whether the rule is a good one or not - I really don't care either way. But if it is a rule THEN ENFORCE IT. Makes me nuts. Okay, rant over. :D

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
I know that I am beating a dead horse here but they need to either enforce the crow hop/leaping rule or get rid of it. I am so tired of watching pitchers (college pitchers in particular) break the rule and it not get called. Yesterday I was watching the WCWS game between Oklahoma and Washington and Gabbie Plain was coming way off the ground with every pitch. The commentators even talked about her struggle coming to the US from Australia and conforming to the rule - they showed a side view of her last pitch where her drag foot was way off the ground and mentioned how she had been called for 8 illegal pitches in one game this season.

I know that there are lots of opinions on whether the rule is a good one or not - I really don't care either way. But if it is a rule THEN ENFORCE IT. Makes me nuts. Okay, rant over. :D

I agree, I feel it is like traveling in the NBA, if your not going to call it it get rid of the rule. To me it makes the umps look stupid.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
"Why ruin a good story" Once again NCAA Softball shows it is legit as WWE. Just like the new recruiting rules, it is all talk and no action.

May 17, 2012
Think of it similar to holding in football or traveling in basketball. There are clear rules against both of those but they happen all of the time at even the professional level.

Jun 8, 2016
Think of it similar to holding in football or traveling in basketball. There are clear rules against both of those but they happen all of the time at even the professional level.

True but in those I can see where the refs would miss them since there are a million other things going on at the same time. With an illegal pitch the focus would be mainly on the pitcher when the "illegal act" occurs. I would liken it to a player stepping over the free throw line early ( I am looking at you Lebron James..)

Mar 22, 2010
While we're at it - let's go back to the old rule for being out of the box. They are not calling any slappers out of the box when clearly they are outside the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802