end loaded vs balanced bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
DeMarini is coming out with a new CF4, and they're making an end loaded version of it called the Insane Edition.

I currently swing a 32/22 DeMarini Phenix (I'm pretty sure it's balanced, not end loaded) and might be looking to buy a slightly heavier bat (either a 33/23 or a 32/23)

Do end loaded bats help get more distance? Or would they mess up my swing since I've used balanced for most of my life?

Can someone just compare the Pros and Cons of balanced and end loaded bats?

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Most young girls cannot swing an end loaded bat correctly. It will effect your swing plane. If you have a good swing path you will get more distance with and end loaded bat. It is basic physics. No one can tell you which is better unless they see you swing. My dd is 16 and uses a balanced bat and can hit the ball 210 and is 5' 3" and 104 lbs. She now has a 33 - 23 CF4.

Oct 25, 2009
I believe an end-loaded bat is better if it doesn't mess with your mechanics. You probably don't want to switch in-season if you're doing well.

One of the main things I believe you have to do is feel it mentally. By that I mean, feel what the bat is doing. You should be able to feel the end of the bat almost pulling itself. Try the right sized baseball bat and you will feel the end of the bat almost propelling itself. That's the feeling I'm talking about. (You always thought it was because the guys are stronger, huh? Well, they are; but the bat helps.)

You won't get as much of an end-loaded feeling with a softball bat. But if you learn to take advantage of it, it can really make a difference.

Mar 15, 2010
For all the girls on my team I recommend balanced bats and the majority of them are using CF4s. The one exception is my DD who uses the end loaded RocketTech. My DD is 5'8" and large framed. She is the only girl I have ever seen that hits shorter with a balanced bat than the end loaded.

Oct 25, 2009
For all the girls on my team I recommend balanced bats and the majority of them are using CF4s. The one exception is my DD who uses the end loaded RocketTech. My DD is 5'8" and large framed. She is the only girl I have ever seen that hits shorter with a balanced bat than the end loaded.

Strange you mentioned that; I was just thinking about what might happen going back to balanced.

I've noticed that some kids who hit hard with the end-loaded bat seem not to be able to hit as hard with the balanced. I've wondered if it is because they've become used to the bat doing the end work. If that's the case maybe a drill putting emphasis on the end would help. Possibly swinging a balanced bat with focus on end whip and then with the end-loaded.

Hope that made sense?

May 8, 2009
Florida
I recommend you first try swinging the different types to see what feels good to you. There are two phases to the weight and distribution of mass ina bat when you swing, Without getting really involved - when you first start your swing you are pulling the complete mass of the bat foward. Here it doesnt matter whether it is end loaded or not. As you near contact and you extend, the bat moves around a second point (the whipping action). An end loaded bat is harder to generate speed at this point. The equation is mass * velocity here. So a reduction in speed but an increase in mass cancels itself out. What I think matters more (an opinion here) is the amount of time you get in deciding whether to hit a pitch or not. The balanced gives you a slight advantage since you will be faster with it. However, that being said, if you can keep the speed portion of it, the endloaded (or heavier) bat will then increase the force generated contact. Other things affected would be size and location of the "sweet' spot whichdefintely can play a part in personal peference. Sorry about the long answer - it really is a short one. I really think it has much more to do with how you like the bat - how it fits your physical characteristics.

Feb 24, 2010
Is there a list of which bats are end loaded and which are balanced?

I recently bought the DeMarini Bustos for DD as she is moving up to 12U next year and I'm not ready just yet to spend $300+ on a bat that may or may not be the correct choice for her (or worse yet, banned!). After swinging a few times she said the bat is lighter (-13) vs. old bat (-11, balanced Easton Rampage from Wallyworld) but it is heavier at the end. I think she's correct, but is it due to the composit handle of the DeMarini, or is it actually end loaded? She says she likes the DeMarini a lot better and has faster bat speed and with power. We haven't hit any game balls with it yet, only wiffle, but I can definitely see the difference.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I just bought my DD the DeMarini CF4. I'm letting every girl on our team hit with it in batting practice to break it in. Everyone that has tried it say that it feels lighter than the Synergy and about the same as the Stealth Speed. I think the CF4 is suppose to be a balanced bat, but it feels slightly end loaded to me. It is a very easy bat to swing.

Sep 17, 2009
The CF4 handle is thinner than the Cf3 I think -- it gives it a different feel too...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
RichK the end cap was changed and I think it is just reversed , since the CF3 had some issues . The new 2011 are 11% longer on the -3 models. End loaded. There are different models. Have many kids now using the CF4. For the same reasons as posted above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45