Emma Progression 12/2020 update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Lol..Your video skills are almost as bad as mine 😉 How do you think her game swing compares to her BP swing?

That would be my wife, I am at 3rd base coaching :LOL:.
Better view of her game swing here, she gets jammed, but runner on 2 did a good job of holding the throw up and she is fast enough to take away the play.

She has a bigger move forward in the cage swing. I would like to see that in the game swing.

she lets the inside pitch travel and goes gets the outside pitch. ugh.

May 12, 2016
That would be my wife, I am at 3rd base coaching :LOL:.
Better view of her game swing here, she gets jammed, but runner on 2 did a good job of holding the throw up and she is fast enough to take away the play.

She has a bigger move forward in the cage swing. I would like to see that in the game swing.

she lets the inside pitch travel and goes gets the outside pitch. ugh.

HI James, I think the bigger move is not happening in the game because she is rushing her sequence due to getting started late

1594050746555.png

The ball is well on the way to the plate and Emma is just starting her sequence. There is 0 negative move compared to BP swing and very little positive.. all because she is late getting started IMO. This leads to her just dropping the bat/barrel in the zone instead of driving it through the zone.. basically the arms are powering the swing. Again JMHO.. I understand you already probably know this, my two cents, this is more a mental issue then physical, seems to me she is trying to read the pitch before starting her process, when she should be starting her sequence on every pitch. Treat every pitch like a strike, a ball you are going hit hard mentality.

I've seen your swing before and I believe you have played the game quite a bit.. when I played if I started on time and had my sequence correct, the ball seemed to be 20 MPH slower. Felt like I had much more time to read the pitch and do damage. Not sure if you have experienced the same thing?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
HI James, I think the bigger move is not happening in the game because she is rushing her sequence due to getting started late

View attachment 18478

The ball is well on the way to the plate and Emma is just starting her sequence. There is 0 negative move compared to BP swing and very little positive.. all because she is late getting started IMO. This leads to her just dropping the bat/barrel in the zone instead of driving it through the zone.. basically the arms are powering the swing. Again JMHO.. I understand you already probably know this, my two cents, this is more a mental issue then physical, seems to me she is trying to read the pitch before starting her process, when she should be starting her sequence on every pitch. Treat every pitch like a strike, a ball you are going hit hard mentality.

I've seen your swing before and I believe you have played the game quite a bit.. when I played if I started on time and had my sequence correct, the ball seemed to be 20 MPH slower. Felt like I had much more time to read the pitch and do damage. Not sure if you have experienced the same thing?

I would agree she's late getting leveraged into her legs... She needs to beat the pitcher to her position vs let the pitcher dictate it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She does well with those. We modeled Donaldson early on and his technique leads to being able to hit balls up in the zone with a lot of power. We have recently been trying to work in a Trout like swing for pitches in the lower part of the zone. I tell her hit the high ones like Donaldson and the low ones like Trout. You know because it is that easy. haha.

As has been stated even by Josh himself, he TTBs but only to set the plane. If you TTB to set the plane it really helps in hitting the high pitch.

View attachment 18471
Real high pitch here.
View attachment 18473

View attachment 18472
Still working on matching Trout. She has got to let those get a bit deeper. She is an aggressive hitter and wants to go get them sometimes.
View attachment 18474

Some folks laugh when I tell them we work on matching these great baseball hitters. My thing is she may never understand what I have learned (a ton from this board) but every time I show her a picture and say "see right here he is ....." she is able to relate it something she has seen. It doesn't take but a 1 to 2 minutes to show her and talk about something specific. Now she has something in her head that makes going to the field easier because we have laid a good mental foundation.
I am not laughing, I am loving it. Also:
"Every picture tells a story, don't it?"- Rod Stewart

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

View attachment 18478

Believe you're on to something Julray. from Post #7. Her stride leg raise has multiple variations. Is she picking up the heel at release then the load phase varies on her pitch recognition?

It may be a timing issue from batting practice.

Nov 16, 2017

View attachment 18478

You are a 1000% correct. I have a hack attack jr and I often get in there and do some work myself(baseball). It is about 45' feet back throwing lower 80's. We do a 1,2,3 pitch count with the drop of the ball on pitch and if I don't start at the beginning of 3, it is an emergency arms only prayer swing. However when I pick up my foot on time and put it down on time it is the best feeling when you barrel up a fastball with a wood bat.

There is a sort of trust that you have to learn to do this. It really feels like too soon, but it is not!!! I and her both are somewhat athletic and tend to rely on that which gets you into trouble sometimes I think I am going to put her in the cage and put the machine on 65 and force her to learn to start earlier than she thinks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101