Elite, Gold, etc

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Do your homework before getting bedazzled by the name. Likewise don't get sucked in by the large number of franchises sprouting up across the country. Some are good, some not so.

Feb 21, 2017
In my region I see a ton of 18U Gold, Regional and Elite names but there is no reason or qualification. My daughters program uses Committed (pretty clear), Showcase (pretty clear) and Elite (Ok) for 18U BUT they also have Elite for 14U (which is the better 14U team). I would guess the thinking is 18U Elite are younger players being groomed for Gold/Showcase but how elite they are depends on the program itself and even then.

Generally I noticed at 18U Regional and Elite play a local schedule so you can drive to most tournaments. 18U Showcase or Gold means ‘break out your wallet and cancel your summer vacation because you will be visiting exotic locations. By exotic locales, I mean softball fields in far away states.

At 14U and under when a team adds “Elite” it usually means ‘we are going to play up a few tournaments and drive further than we did last year.’

In reality I think programs add a name to make parents feel better and I have actually heard some parents in HS saying my daughter plays in “Travel Team Blah Elite”, yeah okay but that program, her team and your princess still suck and why is she playing 14U as a sophomore?

Aug 2, 2019
A lot of times we see that around here when an org has multiple teams in an age bracket. Using your example, the B/C team will be Phantom 10u, the A/B team will be Phantom 10U elite.

We also have also seen an org called Elite. Mostly C teams.

Aug 3, 2019
I don’t know your daughter age but no one is Elite at 10U. Find good coaching and there are several threads that discussed what entails good coaching.
Yup—That’s why I am asking. My daughter is 10u And they are playing a team in an upcoming tournament that is labeled as 10u blah blah blah “elite”. From what I can see their program is fairly marginal so I was confused about what made them qualified as elite at 10 years old.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have our annual once-per-year 'fun' friends team that gets together for the last tournament of the season and make up a stupid name to enter it in.

This year we were the Rainbow Fluffy Unicorns. We went 7-0 against a variety of Gold, Elite and Showcase teams this year.

Turns out it matters who is on your team - not what you name them.

Feb 21, 2017
Yup—That’s why I am asking. My daughter is 10u And they are playing a team in an upcoming tournament that is labeled as 10u blah blah blah “elite”. From what I can see their program is fairly marginal so I was confused about what made them qualified as elite at 10 years old.

The team is “Elite” because the coaches are some of the best in the region...at sitting on buckets and yelling things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812