Elbows

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
In the relaxed stance, DD likes to have her knees wide and her catching elbow is inside her knee. She's been told in the past her knees are too wide and the elbow shouldn't be inside. She however doesn't do this in the ready stance so is there a problem? This weekend in 4 games she had no passed balls, no steals, and no successful bunt attempts that were close to home. Do I leave it alone?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As they say you never get a second chance to make a first impression. If she has designs on college, this will be the first and possibly the last thing a college coach notices about her catching. When I see such a basic flaw, I have to wonder what else is wrong.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I teach my catchers to work in front of their knees. This may require an adjustment in their stance and/or torso angle.

I'm not sure what you mean my a "relaxed stance" and a "ready stance". When is each one used?

How old is your DD? Using success at young ages - especially if it's low-level competition - as a measure quality is not recommended. Compare with the best in the game.

Oct 10, 2011
Sorry for not using the right terminology. When I said ready stance I meant when runners are on base... she raises up like is taught by the NECC.
DD was guest playing in a tournament with quite a few 18U A/Gold teams.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
As they say you never get a second chance to make a first impression. If she has designs on college, this will be the first and possibly the last thing a college coach notices about her catching. When I see such a basic flaw, I have to wonder what else is wrong.
Thanks riseball. DD is actually a rising sophomore and her team ended up #3 in the country for division 2. Catching isn't her 1st position and hadn't played it in awhile in a game as she has an all American senior on the team. She has the second fastest throw to her so she could in the future I suppose. Might as well work on it then. Btw... she said they don't practice catching skills except throw downs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478