elbow whip vs. forceful follow thru

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I am new to this forum, so understand I haven't read of lot of the posts. But I must comment on this subject of delivery mechanics, especially regarding the use of video showing pitchers who are world class.
I work with young girls, typically middle school age, but I believe any effort to optimize a pitcher's delivery should be done on a simple fastball pitch. But what I saw in the videos was something else.
Particularly the Jenny Finch videos. Her video which is referenced in one of the above posts was taken from a comparison of whether hitting a baseball or a fastpitch softball was more difficult. All her pitches were riseballs (which incidentally and unfairly compounded the difficulty by the baseball hitter to make contact).
I don't need to spell out the problem with showing Finch's mechanics in throwing a rise and then insinuate that her arm/elbow/wrist action should be what any aspiring pitcher should emulate in her pitches.
I also watched the video of a computer model of Finch and a short video of the Japanese stud, and they appeared to both feature arm action that looked like a rise being thrown.
Sorry, but using such videos is going to make a mess out of any coach's efforts to install an effective delivery.
And finally, I'm amazed at some posts that get so deep into what's required of each muscle, bone, angle, pressure, etc to achieve pitching nirvana -- the perfect delivery. I agree with Bill Hillhouse's position that certain mechanics are essential to a good pitch, but there's a lot of room for individual variation. I don't see every MLB pitcher or hitter do their jobs with the same mechanics.
I liked Rick Pauly's pragmatic advise, such as his thoughts on the follow-thru (something like, the key is the release of the ball, and then the arm and hand can do whatever it wants).
Jim Paulus
PS: Rick, if you read this, you hit a ball 600 ft high off me in Galesville; fortunately for me it came down 235 ft from home.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Mark H:
There's a couple of videos posted of Ueno. The one I was referring to was in post by REX on 3/13/09.
The one you refer to has Ueno throwing a screwgie, I think.

jim

PS: Note where her glove hand finishes, on her thigh.

May 12, 2008
Maybe so. Does she have one or use it? I always thought her motion was conducive to max velocity but not so much rise spin.

rex

Jan 24, 2009
redhawkridge is correct and I work with the same age girls, also. But we are not talking about simple mechanics here. Arm whip mechanics is something I do not teach until after a student has gotten accustomed to good body mechanics. BTW, Jenni F's video is for the purpose of arm whip mechanics and not rise ball mechanics.

May 5, 2008
Arm whip mechanics is something I do not teach until after a student has gotten accustomed to good body mechanics.

I'm am finding a locked elbow a VERY difficult habit to break. I'm thinking things would be easier if that was something I emphasized more early on. I'm hoping that it will get better once my daughter gets older and continues gaining more and more control over her muscles and body. We'll see....

Somehow I don't think coaches would hesitate to try to correct a stiff armed overhand throw...failing to lead that overhand throw with the elbow would not be left alone for long...why wait on an underhand delivery?

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Stacie, I couldn't agree more. The first thing I teach a beginner is understanding the concept of sequencing backwards from fingers to wrist to forearm to upper arm, etc. by doing just snaps into a net from no more than the nine o'clock position. I believe Rick Pauley says you get 90% of your speed just from an efficient arm whip from the Super K. That's where I put my emphasis with a beginner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598