Elbow up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Elbow up is fine. You just shouldn't falsely raise the back elbow. Meaning set your forearms at 90 degrees and keep your forearms at 90 degrees. Do not move your back elbow up without the front elbow moving equally. The problem is kids will on the queue of "raise the back elbow" will just raise the back elbow and their triangle is destroyed and this can create a really steep down swing.

Sep 29, 2014
I didn't see video but looking at stills just looks like a simple sequence thing to me. Look at her back foot getting good instep pressure, elbow slotted, hands dropped maybe a little bit more than I'd like but for an upper body position after heel drop and forward motion not bad. I would focus more on no forward motion/movement until after toe touch. I'm guessing hands are a little higher, elbow up a little and heel firmly planted a few frames before this just make her hold that position until after toe touch.

Maybe a walk away from hands cue would help her understand a little but the focus is everything back and stays back until after toe touch....really harping on sequence but IMO it is number one issue going wrong with younger kids swing they just can't wait and once you start forward before toe touch there is no going back your swing simply can not be optimal, now closer you are to it the better your chances at making good strong contact if everything else is right you are just compensating alot.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Do guys think there is any benefit to the old suggestion. Get that elbow up (Rear)?

When it comes throwing the barrel, having the back elbow (rear forearm parallel to the ground) up creates a better feel for throwing the barrel. Try to throw a ball with the back elbow down and then with it up. I also think it helps with separation or the stretch as mentioned with scap load. It also allows for sequencing between the lower and upperbody.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Her vs George Brett - Another MLB player who uses neck slot. Thought it would be interesting to see side by side.
View attachment 15981

Notice:
The swing has already begun (prior to toe touch) (see 1,2,3). So, strength has nothing to do with it. It's a technique issue. Always is.

1. The hips have opened. 2. The shoulders are upside down. 3. The elbow has already dropped (without moving the bat head at all)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
BTW, While most ML hitters have a raised elbow doesn't mean it's an absolute. You can have the elbow down like the pic of the girl in this thread.

May 12, 2016
I think your right its rushing the sequence
I agree as well, besides her back elbow, also look at her back leg. IMO, it should be straighter and not committed so much at this point in the sequence.. compare to Brett and you will see what I mean. But who knows, maybe in this swing her timing was off and she was just adjusting causing her to rush??

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree as well, besides her back elbow, also look at her back leg. IMO, it should be straighter and not committed so much at this point in the sequence.. compare to Brett and you will see what I mean. But who knows, maybe in this swing her timing was off and she was just adjusting causing her to rush??

Straighter is a pretty good description. Or maybe ‘not committed’ would be a bit better description. Some won’t straighten the leg so to speak. Especially a hitter who doesn’t use a lot of momentum; they usually ‘sink’ a bit more. Looking at intent on video is great way to understand what is happening or with pro swings, what should be happening.

Once the back leg does ‘go’ it better be with the hands.

If one think ‘hips then hands’ or lower then upper... problems usually ensue. Separation is not the goal imo. And sequence is not about unloading it’s about loading...

Anyway I’m rambling. Nice post Julray.

Oct 2, 2017

Here is the swing in question:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478