Elbow up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
But I notice the elbow is slotting a little early. She is not elbow dragging. Out of 60 swings at the last session, I don't think she elbowed dragged but one time. It just seems to slot early. If all that make sense. Trying to get her to feel the continual loading of the scap into the launch position
How about the walking away from the hands cue?
While you stride, pretend there's a guy behind you and you want to elbow him in the chest.
Or maybe 'fire the hips, the hands go along for the ride'.

For my beginners I break the swing into 5 simplistic steps for them (easy for 6-8yos to remember):
  1. Load (back elbow up)
  2. Stride (walk away from the hands)
  3. Slot (shoelaces to pitcher; knob to pitcher; knee, hip, shoulder stacked)
  4. Extend (palm up/down, point bat at the 2nd baseman)
  5. Follow through (hands at shoulder)
This should give a more or less appropriate sequence and a decent foundation to build on, but can lead to a bit of what you're talking about, so I'm pretty familiar with fixing it. If you don't start with the elbow up also, it's a recipe for bat drag.
Of course, each player will have their own issues to sort out.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The hands and elbow can be ANYWHERE in the stance. It may be counter-productive to have the elbow up in the stance for many kids (they usually drop it during the stride).

During the stride, the rear elbow can be anywhere from 45 degrees, to flat, to above the shoulder.

The important factor is that the rear forearm is flat at toe touch (even Mays and Mantle above follow this rule)

The rear forearm and bat should be in an "L" position, so when you swing you bring the elbow down to near the hip, and take the bat head with it, with no lag whatsoever.

Aug 20, 2017
Clemens, it’s most likely a strength issue due to her being so young. Most girls her age haven’t developed the strength necessary to maintain the scap load at toe touch. I wouldn’t worry about too much just yet. I fought a similar issue with my DD at this age. She is about to turn 12 and I think we have worked our way out of it.
I’d do some take/hit tee drills and make her freeze on the takes and check her

Oct 2, 2017
Clemens, it’s most likely a strength issue due to her being so young. Most girls her age haven’t developed the strength necessary to maintain the scap load at toe touch. I wouldn’t worry about too much just yet. I fought a similar issue with my DD at this age. She is about to turn 12 and I think we have worked our way out of it.
I’d do some take/hit tee drills and make her freeze on the takes and check her

I guess I could be a strength issue. Thanks for the insight. I don't really think its a sequence issue if you watch the video of her.

Apr 17, 2019
I don't think it's a strength issue. Coordination/body awareness maybe. The old timers Mantle and Mays have elbows down, but their swings look so outdated and draggy to me. I wonder what their swings would look like with more efficient mechanics. (flame away).
Anyway, look below. Bat/hand spacing might be the lower hanging fruit.

1578083699498.png

Oct 2, 2017
I don't think it's a strength issue. Coordination/body awareness maybe. The old timers Mantle and Mays have elbows down, but their swings look so outdated and draggy to me. I wonder what their swings would look like with more efficient mechanics. (flame away).
Anyway, look below. Bat/hand spacing might be the lower hanging fruit.

View attachment 15980

the bat hand spacing is most likely due to starting in a neck slot. You can tell that like DD, Mays who has a elbow down they don't have as much bat angle, its only slightly more than vertical.

Aug 20, 2017
She has a really good swing! After watching video she has tight rotation. Young players that lack the functional strength with the upper body (weaker muscles) to resist the rotation of the lower body and torso (stronger muscles) will rush the upper body sequence (slotting elbow early). Early slotting of the elbow is jumping the sequence. All that said her swing is very good!

Oct 2, 2017
She has a really good swing! After watching video she has tight rotation. Young players that lack the functional strength with the upper body (weaker muscles) to resist the rotation of the lower body and torso (stronger muscles) will rush the upper body sequence (slotting elbow early). Early slotting of the elbow is jumping the sequence. All that said her swing is very good!
I think your right its rushing the sequence

Apr 17, 2019
the bat hand spacing is most likely due to starting in a neck slot. You can tell that like DD, Mays who has a elbow down they don't have as much bat angle, its only slightly more than vertical.
Ah, I forgot about the neck slotting. Yes, you're right. Not sure elbow up is appropriate with a neck slot start. It would put the wrists in an awkward position.

Edit: Also, regarding Allie's swing - think I said in the other thread - just lock it in, imo. See how she does this spring with live pitching and that form.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802