Elbow up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My DD's is pretty even but my preference is at least slightly up and I think it's better.

1) I think it assists in getting a nice early barrel rotation/arc into the pitch path
2) I think it promotes better use of the hands vs. pulling the bat through the zone
3) I think it promotes a good launch angle vs an uppercut, especially on higher pitches
4) I think it promotes better use of the shoulders (rock the baby)
5) I think it looks cooler

May 12, 2016
My DD's is pretty even but my preference is at least slightly up and I think it's better.

1) I think it assists in getting a nice early barrel rotation/arc into the pitch path
2) I think it promotes better use of the hands vs. pulling the bat through the zone
3) I think it promotes a good launch angle vs an uppercut, especially on higher pitches
4) I think it promotes better use of the shoulders (rock the baby)
5) I think it looks cooler
My favorite reason right there, :).

Honestly, if you want to convince your DD to do something, just say it looks cooler or better, :). Since my DD has a Boy Friend now, maybe I can leverage this unfortunate situation and tell him to let her know she looks better with her elbow up?

Thoughts? :)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My favorite reason right there, :).

Honestly, if you want to convince your DD to do something, just say it looks cooler or better, :). Since my DD has a Boy Friend now, maybe I can leverage this unfortunate situation and tell him to let her know she looks better with her elbow up?

Thoughts? :)
Use the look cooler trick when getting girls to work thru the ball. Think 2 hopper on the short hop. Show them what it looks like when you pull up short and flinch and miss the ball and then show them working thro the ball , missing it (on purpose of course) and faking the tranfer and the throw like you usually never miss those. And ask them which one looked cooler.

May 29, 2019
If having the elbow up helps with load but that may be it. It must come down for an effective smooth swing so the hands get into the proper palm up palm down position and there isn't hump in the swing because of bad hand placement. I've always been taught to keep the back elbow down but it's mostly personal preference. Also I'm not a big fan of comparing a professional baseball player's swing to young girls.

Jun 8, 2016
Also I'm not a big fan of comparing a professional baseball player's swing to young girls.
Comparing them to the best hitters and expecting them to be there at 10 YO are two different things. Unless of course you think a HL baseball swing is different than a HL softball swing, then yes, compare them to what you think is a HL softball swing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478