Elbow guard discussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
Not even a huge fan of elbow pad use in baseball. In softball, it seems highly unnecessary.
Yeah....because the Riseball always goes where it's aimed. I guess they shouldn't wear masks in the field or on their batting helmet....heck, why wear a batting helmet?

I always laugh at the "back in my day" or if you're afraid you should choose another sport arguments.

If you can apply a small protective device and it prevents an injury and doesn't create an undue stress on the game, why wouldn't you?

Jun 2, 2019
Then don’t wear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your deep insights. The bigger picture has nothing to do with the individual player - it’s the impact on the game. If a player can park on the inside of the plate without consequence, that changes the equation. Also, it's a 12 in ball going 50 mph, not a smaller baseball going 90... Have a think on the physics of that. It's an elbow, not a head or face (helmet, facemask).

Mar 10, 2020
Thank you for your deep insights. The bigger picture has nothing to do with the individual player - it’s the impact on the game. If a player can park on the inside of the plate without consequence, that changes the equation. Also, it's a 12 in ball going 50 mph, not a smaller baseball going 90... Have a think on the physics of that. It's an elbow, not a head or face (helmet, facemask).
This is worse than dumb.
Got to be a troll.

Apr 20, 2015
Dd is an elite level right handed hitter. She does NOT park on the plate and she has been hit on the elbow and the hand more times than I can count against elite level pitching throwing well over 60mph. She wears and elbow guard and an evo shield batting glove with a hand guard. Its not about being tough this kid has played games with broken bones its about preventing injuries and staying in the game

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2021
Subscribed to see... what others are using, if the thread ever gets back to that...

Posting to say...

DD currently uses an EVO shield. Mainly because she is a pitcher that hits #4 or #5 and she gets pitched inside A LOT. Anything to avoid an at bat injury that keeps her from pitching is worthwhile...IMHO.

Not sure if the inside pitching is intentional or not (she is equally comfortable pulling the ball or hitting opposite field), but the extra protection provides a little peace of mind. She doesn't crowd the plate, but hits for power.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Subscribed to see... what others are using, if the thread ever gets back to that...

Posting to say...

DD currently uses an EVO shield. Mainly because she is a pitcher that hits #4 or #5 and she gets pitched inside A LOT. Anything to avoid an at bat injury that keeps her from pitching is worthwhile...IMHO.

Not sure if the inside pitching is intentional or not (she is equally comfortable pulling the ball or hitting opposite field), but the extra protection provides a little peace of mind. She doesn't crowd the plate, but hits for power.

DD is similar. Doesn’t get over the plate but doesn’t not crowd it. Getting hit isn’t uncommon for her. She’s taken a quite a few in the elbow and got tired of it. So we bought an EVO shield.

Ever since we bought it she’s not been hit in the elbow. It’s like the rock that keeps bears away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802