Dugout player spacing for games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
We are starting up again for our team this weekend in So Cal and was wondering how you guys are handling spacing for your players during games? Mainly on offense when everyone is in usually in dugout. Thx

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida: We are not and haven't been since we restarted tournaments back in late May.

It isn't practical and I assume, since you are playing, everyone has been around each other so much that dugout spacing isn't going to make a difference either way.

We basically socially distanced within our own team and lessened the interactions with other teams.

It appears to have worked pretty well.

Apr 1, 2017
Been dealing with it a little this fall in Illinois. As the state guidelines are written, if you can't maintain 6' separation when in the "dugout area", games aren't supposed to be allowed. Enforcement of that varies greatly from location to location. I would say majority is little to no enforcement. We try to just spread out to the surrounding area and do the best we can. At practices, we don't use the dugouts.

We have a double header scheduled for Saturday, and the host coach emailed me the rules for the park we are playing at. Dugouts are not to be used at all. Only time anyone can be in them is when moving from the field to the open area behind them.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I saw some ridiculous ideas for rules on this, including player stacked along the sideline fence. We did none of this over the summer, and saw none of it. Limited interaction with other teams, and that was it. Nobody got sick.

Aug 10, 2020
In Massachusetts there has been a lot of this. No more than 4 players in the dugout and then the rest are in camp chairs along the base line fences or in a marked off area right behind the dugout. The last tournament we were at, we had to provide a list of all players and the names and contact information for their two allowed spectators for contact tracing purposes before we were allowed to step on the field.

Oct 27, 2017
MS ball in Georgia (Atlanta area) dugouts were closed and players had to stand behind or to the side of the dugout. Not sure what that was supposed to do, the team was all gathered together just like normal (2019) sans masko_O:ROFLMAO:

Aug 8, 2016
One of the facilities we are playing at has marks in the dugout down along the fence line spaced 6 feet apart. We tried to adhere to that our first game there but every time I would turn around, there would be groups of 2 or 3 huddled together, so I eventually gave up. We are required to have masks on at all times while inside of the facility, even while out on the field.

I should also add that there are no spectators inside the complex, so we have been having kids put some of their bags on the outside of the dugout, which has helped to keep them spaced a bit.

Oct 4, 2018
I saw some ridiculous ideas for rules on this, including player stacked along the sideline fence. We did none of this over the summer, and saw none of it. Limited interaction with other teams, and that was it. Nobody got sick.

Our team had an outbreak. We weren't spacing in the dugout. :( Sounds a bit silly, but I asked my daughters to move around in the dugout, and even step out of the dugout when possible. I had her keep her gear outside the dugout. Luckily with all the girls getting Covid my DD never did. *knock wood*

Actually, two of our teams had outbreaks. Middle school and travel both. Sheesh, seems like my DD hasn't played in ages.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In So Cal friendlies most do not wear mask. Parents spread out a little more and you don't shake hands after the game. Most umps wear mask. Some umps call game from behind pitcher.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Absolutely nothing in Oklahoma, aside from teams using their own balls (half of which I'm convinced were found in a batting cage somewhere), and not shaking hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802