Dual Core HOH Floppy-- solutions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2015
I bought DD#1 a HOH PRO 566SB -3B last June because her Mizuno Global Elite had become too floppy to be reliable. She's a HS Junior, pitcher and middle infielder, and has liked the HOH glove. She told me last week that she was having problems with the HOH on hard infield hits, and reiterated her complaint today, so I re-laced the finger tops. I thought I was getting her a glove that would last for several seasons, but I have since come to understand that the dual core leather doesn't have the same durability as the Horween.

It's club tryout season and soon to be fall HS season here, so I suspect we don't really have time to break in a new "good" glove before she'll need it for the daily HS grind. Anyone have ideas for fixes to get us through October beside the relaxing? Alternately, if you were going to buy your DD (with small hands) a new glove, what would be on the top of the list?

Apr 28, 2019
I bought DD#1 a HOH PRO 566SB -3B last June because her Mizuno Global Elite had become too floppy to be reliable. She's a HS Junior, pitcher and middle infielder, and has liked the HOH glove. She told me last week that she was having problems with the HOH on hard infield hits, and reiterated her complaint today, so I re-laced the finger tops. I thought I was getting her a glove that would last for several seasons, but I have since come to understand that the dual core leather doesn't have the same durability as the Horween.

It's club tryout season and soon to be fall HS season here, so I suspect we don't really have time to break in a new "good" glove before she'll need it for the daily HS grind. Anyone have ideas for fixes to get us through October beside the relaxing? Alternately, if you were going to buy your DD (with small hands) a new glove, what would be on the top of the list?
Rawlings Liberty Advanced is good bang for your buck. Good padding, good overall quality at a reasonable price. If I was in the market I would also check out Akadema. They have a Torino series I’ve seen recently that you can get at a good discounted price.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Actually Dual Core gloves are Horween, just not code “C55” Horween glove leather, it’s Horween Featherlight leather. It’s nowhere near the same leather as true Horween!

There’s really nothing you can do to stiffen it up other than re-lace it in some thick / stiff Tanners lace and replace the thumb & pinky inserts, but it probably won’t stay stiff too long, plus you’ll spend $75/$80 doing it. A Dual Core just isn’t worth the investment.

Looks like it’s new glove purchase time!

Reactions: ian
Feb 26, 2018
Rawlings Liberty Advanced is good bang for your buck. Good padding, good overall quality at a reasonable price. If I was in the market I would also check out Akadema. They have a Torino series I’ve seen recently that you can get at a good discounted price.
X2 on the Rawlings Liberty Advanced. My 13yo DD is going into her 3rd TB season with it and it's still going strong.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Buy one of these and get to breaking it in. Have her use it for all warm ups and any work where an occasional drop won't matter.

Hand stalls are not small but they are a steel trap when you get them broke in.

Wipe down the outside of her old glove with a water soaked rag. As wet as you can get it while keeping the palm dry. put a ball in it and let it dry. The leather will shrink and stiffen up a bit. You'll have to repeat this as needed until the Horween is ready. Should get you by.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Buy one of these and get to breaking it in. Have her use it for all warm ups and any work where an occasional drop won't matter.

Hand stalls are not small but they are a steel trap when you get them broke in.

Wipe down the outside of her old glove with a water soaked rag. As wet as you can get it while keeping the palm dry. put a ball in it and let it dry. The leather will shrink and stiffen up a bit. You'll have to repeat this as needed until the Horween is ready. Should get you by.
This makes me smile! ;)

Feb 10, 2016
Illinois
I picked up a Liberty for my daughter a couple years back, but it only lasted us one season before getting floppy. Was broken in by nothing more than playing catch, no glove oil, microwave, steaming, etc. Just seemed to lose form much quicker than any other glove we've used in the past. Maybe we got a bad one.
Bought a Vinci custom from Annasdad, and it has been stellar through about 80 travel games and lots of practices. She will use that gove through middle school season, and we may start breaking in a new one, probably an HOH or Pro Preferred, for next season. Not because we need to, but because apparently I hate money and have a glove and bat buying problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802