Dropping the back elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
May I ask along? I'm a 20yo man playing softball for 1.5 yr in a place where baseball/softball is not common sport.

During my hitting rotation, I have both of my hands near my back hand side armpit, with back elbow folded pointing catcher side, front arm across my chest. I tilt or stride really big to hit low pitch.
Is this form ok?

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Elliott - the "Keep your elbow up" advice - is in many cases, used somehow like a magic pill.

When I was a young player, if I was struggling at bat, the first thing I would hear from parents in the stand or the nice volunteer coach who had no real technical training would be to keep my elbow up as if it was a magic solution to ALL my hitting problems.

What is the point of the elbow up? I mean real up. In most cases, if you look at the majority of elite female hitters, they have a comfortable stance with their elbows pointing down.

I have spent the first 10 days of July observing some of the best hitters in the world from Japan, Australia, and Canada. For example, Melanie Matthews from Canada who was the best hitter at the 2006 Worlds with a batting average of over .600 for the tournament has a comfortable stance with the upside down "V" position and she can hit for power. Same goes for Titcume for Australia who has been hitting Bustos-like rockets for the last 10 years internationally.

I have to admit a few, not many too in female fastpitch, have their back elbow up. It's the case of Jennifer Salling from Canada who was one of the top 10 hitters in the NCAA D1 in 2007 (redshirted 2008 in prep for the Olympics) at Oregon.

Cheers,

Marc

May 12, 2008
The throwing action IS the swing. The throw of the barrel around the pivot point of the stationery (attempting to be) lead hand IS the swing.

All else is set by that goal.

The 'first frame of barrel movement into the swing' (your words in your frame count post....and maybe a little before that) the barrel is being thrown.

Nope. Basic double pendulum stuff here.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
While I'm not convinced that putting the back elbow up has any value, at least Elliott has a reason for teaching it. What I object to with it (and I gather what Marc objects to as well) is offering this advice with no concept of what it might do for a hitter. In other words, simply repeating a phrase you've heard because you don't know what else to say.

Ultimately it's about cause and effect. If what you teach improves a hitter, it's likely it has value. If it doesn't, you might want to consider something else. And you may need to adjust what you teach based on what works with that particular hitter.

May 12, 2008
Again....you insist on avoiding what is obvious in the video....the z axis stuff.

I don't think you are using z axis the way they taught us in math class or I don't follow you well but I'm sure of one thing. What you and I view as obvious is opposite. Let the people decide.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Very true words.

While I'm not convinced that putting the back elbow up has any value, at least Elliott has a reason for teaching it. What I object to with it (and I gather what Marc objects to as well) is offering this advice with no concept of what it might do for a hitter. In other words, simply repeating a phrase you've heard because you don't know what else to say.

Ken, I agree with what you stated and I think Marc and I probably had the same coach as kids. :D There has to be a reason/explanation for every movement during hitting. If you ask why then you should expect a reasonable response to that question. If you dont get one then the little red light should be going off in the head.

The elbow up / elbow down thing has been an argument for many years. My own testing based on what I have done with radar and batspeed/ball exit speeds indicates that my students generate more speed in both areas with the elbow up and turning the back elbow into the slot with about a 3-4 inch separation between the elbow and the body as it comes around the back corner. They even tell me they can feel the difference. I can feel the difference. I think it creates more momentum with the shoulder turn. Sometimes a good thing sometimes not so good if the front shoulder is flying out. I see my share of that too in my students.

When it comes to teaching hitting I am all about power, consistency of swing plane, and quickness to the ball. You put those 3 elements together and you get a successful hitter.

Elliott.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802