Dropping right elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is a very typical DBSF, arm-powered swing by a very young player. I've seen this more times than I can count. I would approach this by helping the player learn how to power the bat with their body, and get them to take their arms out of it.

I would start by having her rest the barrel of her bat on her shoulder and instruct her to hit the ball by turning her body and using her hands to turn the bat to the ball, rather than swinging her arms around a (mostly) stationary body. At her age, keep it simple. Use building blocks that can be refined later.

More info about using hands to turn the barrel to the ball...

Sep 29, 2014
Also big thing she is doing is trying to drop the bat into a level plane with the ball...swing flat. Have her work a little off a low tee and make her keep her hands high and use the angle of the bat to reach the ball.

She really does not to build up her swing and since she is only playing for fun now no need to stress too much but you can explain to her it will be more fun if she can hot ball out onto the grass.

Use the drill I think efast mentioned....no ball or tee or anything just stride forward but keep back side coiled just constantly replicating over and and over so that she gets to something like this position (below) as she reaches toe touch/heel down she does not need to begin any forward movement of her back side or hands until heel is down. lauren weight back no stride.PNGjosh heel plant.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478