Dropping right elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Hello was talking to my daughters trainers and he said she’s dropping right elbow and extending her lef elbow too soon causing it to loose power, this is her 3rd year playing softball but her first year playing year round last two years she only played with a rec team meaning 2-3 months out of the year and never touched a softball till the following year, this is her second year in coach pinch, will upload a video to see what drills can practice with her at home
Thanks
Currently paying 8u

Aug 20, 2017
Powering the swing with her upper body too much, using arms and shoulders as main engine. Get more bend in both legs and maintain tension in them through swing. She swings from top down and needs to swing from ground up. Fix the lower half and there upper half will be better!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think working on the neck slot drill will help. Needs to turn the barrel immediately. She is slotting (back elbow) and shifting. The back elbow should only lower as you sit into rotation, not before. Or you can say rotate into foot plant and the back elbow lowers as you sit into rotation.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Aug 20, 2017
You need to fix lower body first and see what impact that has on upper body. Sequence is most important! Upper body stuff will just be band aids! Teach to swing with and uppercut using the legs. JMO

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You need to fix lower body first and see what impact that has on upper body. Sequence is most important! Upper body stuff will just be band aids! Teach to swing with and uppercut using the legs. JMO

Yes the lower body is important, or the torso is important.

Jun 24, 2019
So working with lower body stride or torso to begin with? At first I thought it was the bat that was to heavy, 30/19 drop 11 I think

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Her first move is to open her hips to toe touch. Plus she uses her front leg to stride. When you use the front leg, your front knee turns/rotates which causes the hips to open, which starts the swing, which makes her back elbow come down.

None of those things should be happening before toe touch. None.

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch.

Then add pulling the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then make sure the rear forearm is flat/level at toe touch. Use the graphic in post #3 as your guide.

You and she can learn this in a few days. For free. No lessons. No new bat.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you put her in a neck slot or deltoid position and tell her the bat can not leave until her front foot lands she will start to "naturally" figure out how to use her torso. Maybe tell her the hands get thrown off the merry go round. I would say tilt a whirl but she might not know what that is. Hell, she might not know what a merry go round is. They have been deemed too dangerous by the fun police.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802