Dropping right elbow Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I started this thread so as to not derail the other thread with this title. I was thinking about the elbow after it was brought up in the other thread. Do we tend to think about the elbow movement wrong. To me many think that the dropping of the elbow is a independent action. Its seems to me to be a action that is connected with the forearm and top hand. Below is a video of me trying to demonstrate what I'm stating. Is my thinking right or wrong?

Sep 29, 2014
No doubt it is all connected, I can't think of many things in the swing that are independent it's all gotta work together and you can't really slot your elbow without moving something else unless your goal is to make a funny looking video....lol.

Oct 2, 2017
No doubt it is all connected, I can't think of many things in the swing that are independent it's all gotta work together and you can't really slot your elbow without moving something else unless your goal is to make a funny looking video....lol.
It is a chicken video lol, but it gets the point across. With young players like my dd age they tend to do it independently

Last edited:
May 21, 2014
I've noticed there is some instruction that is having the hands load rearward all the way back ala Amanda Lorenz and then trigger the elbow down first and then the swing follows. It's less of a "one piece" move in which the hands stay in front of the back elbow.

It's almost like the teach is to drop the back elbow to the hip and feel the "brush resistance" like in pitching.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
If the hands pass the back elbow early at swing launch you have a push swing. The hands will catch the back elbow but shouldn’t until the back elbow connects to the back hip

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45