Dropping hands help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I am a 10U Rec coach. I have 2 girls with the same problem (It is 10U Rec, so there are lots of problems). But these two girls both has a little something. They are both dropping their hands to their waist and then swing perfectly level through the ball. They are getting to the ball with front toss, but I know once there is a little velocity, it won't work out well. I don't have video, but do you guys have words, triggers, reminders, anything that has helped girls dropping their hands?

There are lots of videos on YouTube for this. Are there specific ones that DFP likes? Thanks for the help.

cmn

Jun 8, 2016
I am a 10U Rec coach. I have 2 girls with the same problem (It is 10U Rec, so there are lots of problems). But these two girls both has a little something. They are both dropping their hands to their waist and then swing perfectly level through the ball. They are getting to the ball with front toss, but I know once there is a little velocity, it won't work out well. I don't have video, but do you guys have words, triggers, reminders, anything that has helped girls dropping their hands?

There are lots of videos on YouTube for this. Are there specific ones that DFP likes? Thanks for the help.

cmn

In terms of dropping the hands, I have found high tee work will help. Unfortunately this likely won't do anything for the swinging
level part. For that you will have to work on getting them into a good coiled (hip and upper back) position at swing launch and then
a swing launch which uses the hands/forearms vs. the arms.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At this age and level of play, with the (probably) limited amount of time you have to work with, start very simple. Have them rest the bat on their shoulder, and turn the barrel from the shoulder to the ball. Start with the ball on a tee close to shoulder level, and progressively lower it, with the instruction to angle the swing plane rather than lower the hands first. If they pull the bat off their shoulder by dropping their hands, correct it immediately. You may likely see that they are trying to power the swing with their arms. Encourage them to power the swing by turning their body.

You might be able to extract from stuff from this that you can apply to your players...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAwd8LCBXE&list=PLLo_t691U8DVQCriImV9Kt44VdEI6iFir&index=28&t=202s

Nov 18, 2015
They are both dropping their hands to their waist and then swing perfectly level through the ball.

CMN,

Are their hands starting high enough? I'm guessing you already tried this, but thought I'd throw out the obvious suggestion first. :)

Also - I think you're saying they are dropping their hands and starting their swing from the lowpoint, correct? It's not a 'hitch' where their hands drop, but they bring them back higher to start their swing?

Enjoy the DBSF thread - for me, it was one of those "ah hah" moments. Unfortunately, it also proved the saying about knowledge being a double-edged sword. Once you realize what you're seeing, you see it everywhere at the youth level (baseball AND softball). Maybe even more prevelant in teeball, as it's the DBSF kids that will often get the biggest hits off the tee. And who wants to be the coach that says to a 6YO - "great hit Jane/Johnny - you hit the ball the farthest - now lets change that swing of yours..."

Sep 19, 2018
CMN,

Are their hands starting high enough? I'm guessing you already tried this, but thought I'd throw out the obvious suggestion first. :)

Also - I think you're saying they are dropping their hands and starting their swing from the lowpoint, correct? It's not a 'hitch' where their hands drop, but they bring them back higher to start their swing?

I THINK their hands are high enough. I'll check again next practice. And yes, they are starting from the low point.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I THINK their hands are high enough. I'll check again next practice. And yes, they are starting from the low point.

One thing I like about the "bat-on-the-shoulder" start (as I described above, especially for this age group) is that it puts their hands in a good spot to start - not too high or too low.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is a major problem for all beginners. I think that batting tees inadvertently add to the problem. The verbal instruction "Swing level" is also a cause. I have developed two hitting aids which I use that help. Before we start hitting I give a talk about how the swing is not level, I demonstrate the problem by asking them how they are going to swing level at a low pitch? I demonstrate by doing a half squat, lower the bat down to knee high and swing parallel to the ground. I tell them the swing is 'tilted, not level' and once again demonstrate. Getting them to tilt properly at address is a must, if they are too upright they will either swing down or drop the hands/bat.

The first hitting aid I use is a small duffle/equipment bag that has a foam mattress stuffed inside. I hang it from a fence and attach 2-3 bungee cords at proper bat angles for high, medium and low pitches. The bungees are angled. They have to swing and hit the bag and have the bat match the bungees. Flatter for the high pitch and progressively angled for medium and low pitches. I have them hold contact and also check for arm-barring.

For the second aid I bought a 5" diameter piece of poly foam. I cut it into 8" pieces, drill a hole through the middle, cut a slot into the hole. This piece of foam gets slipped onto the bat and moved down to where the bat widens out. I have them take a properly tilted stance and place the foam at the point of the shoulder, not on top and not on the side. From there they swing the bat directly into the ball, either on a tee or tossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee