Dropped third not in play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Ok, here's the situation:

No outs, runner on first. On the dropped third, batter/runner heads to first, umpire calls her out, she keeps running, defense attempts play on her, ball gets by first base, runner that was on first scores.

Can the umpire call any interference on the batter/runner for continuing or is it up to the defense to know to play the runner from first advancing?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok, here's the situation:

No outs, runner on first. On the dropped third, batter/runner heads to first, umpire calls her out, she keeps running, defense attempts play on her, ball gets by first base, runner that was on first scores.

Can the umpire call any interference on the batter/runner for continuing or is it up to the defense to know to play the runner from first advancing?

Totally up to the defense to know there is no D3K because the base is occupied and less than 2 outs.
Ball is live, base runners advance at their own risk.

-----------------
Now if the coach has clearly intentionally instructed/coached his team (not just yelling 'run, run, run' because they don't realize the batter is already out or they just doesn't know the rule) into running despite knowing their is no D3K (good luck on making that judgement - but there are serial offenders out there who get a rep for doing this or pretending it is a walk on ball 3) or she interferes in the play in another way, then that could be a separate call, but the actual act of just running to first after a non-D3K, there is no call to be made.

Feb 25, 2018
Thanks. It was a knowledgeable coach, knows the rules, knew the situation. Batter/runner continued onto second base despite umpire repeatedly calling her out en route.

Sep 29, 2014
Up until about 14U/16U this is pretty much happens every few games...ball is live runners advance at their own risk...the end

Apr 30, 2018
We had something similar happen this weekend in a pool game. Runner on first. Batter popped up an infield fly and the ump called for infield fly rule. Batter kept running. To start with our 2B and SS stared at each other and watched the ball drop between them, then they were confused and tried to throw out the batter at 1st. Throw was caught at 1st, but it was after batter had gotten to 1st. Runner had advanced to third during the throw to first. After the play the ump called time and explained to both teams that if this was a bracket game he would have called the lead runner out as well as the batter being out from the infield fly. He said a player who is out and continues to run the bases to cause confusion and try to illicit a throw is a "travesty of the game". I'm still very new to learning the rules. Has anyone heard of a "travesty of the game" rule? That was the specific words the ump used.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Yes. But the word “travesty” is only used in the rule about a runner running the bases in reverse order. It is poorly written.

Most people misuse it when they are actually meaning rules on unsporting behavior.

Feb 25, 2018
Well, here's the relevant rule in the situation I described. USA rule 8-7-P, page 102:

"When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner. A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw May be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to a batter-runner who is entitled to run on the dropped third strike rule."

Effect section 7M-P
1. The ball is dead.
2. The runner is closest to home is out.
3. Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

So, in my scenario, the batter/runner was out on the dropped 3rd because first was occupied with no out and the base runner that scored is out because the batter/runner continued to run after being called out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Well, here's the relevant rule in the situation I described. USA rule 8-7-P, page 102:

"When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner. A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw May be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to a batter-runner who is entitled to run on the dropped third strike rule."

Effect section 7M-P
1. The ball is dead.
2. The runner is closest to home is out.
3. Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

So, in my scenario, the batter/runner was out on the dropped 3rd because first was occupied with no out and the base runner that scored is out because the batter/runner continued to run after being called out.

No. The player who is out (batter) has not interfered with the defensive ability to make a play on another runner. So you haven't met the criteria for this rule.

Again, live ball. Runners can advance at their own risk.

Feb 25, 2018
No. The player who is out (batter) has not interfered with the defensive ability to make a play on another runner. So you haven't met the criteria for this rule.

Again, live ball. Runners can advance at their own risk.

I disagree. Umpire called her out on way to first, she kept running, drew the throw, then proceeded to second and drew another throw, which allowed runner on third to score.
All the while the umpire was calling batter/runner out.

Should have included all that in original post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802