Dropped third not in play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Yes, that is a different scenario and there is a case to be made for interference.

Likely, I would allow the first play of the defense to stand. The batter-runner is NOT entitled to run (I don’t like when people cite that in this situation, it is not accurate), but there is a “professional courtesy” that is granted in not penalizing the runner who starts to run at youth levels (you want the kids to be taught to run).

In that case, we do typically say the onus is on the defense to know the situation. Screw up and throw, well, sorry.

The retired batter-runner rounds first and draws another play ... now we have a problem. Now we have a pretty clear (IMO) interference call.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
We had something similar happen this weekend in a pool game. Runner on first. Batter popped up an infield fly and the ump called for infield fly rule. Batter kept running. To start with our 2B and SS stared at each other and watched the ball drop between them, then they were confused and tried to throw out the batter at 1st. Throw was caught at 1st, but it was after batter had gotten to 1st. Runner had advanced to third during the throw to first. After the play the ump called time and explained to both teams that if this was a bracket game he would have called the lead runner out as well as the batter being out from the infield fly. He said a player who is out and continues to run the bases to cause confusion and try to illicit a throw is a "travesty of the game". I'm still very new to learning the rules. Has anyone heard of a "travesty of the game" rule? That was the specific words the ump used.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

What age was this? Not even an infield fly situation so the ump had it wrong. Runners have to occupy 1/2 or 1/2/3 for an infield fly to be in play. Not sure how he could have called the lead runner out.

Also, do we really expect a girl who just hit a ball to hear the infield fly call from the ump and immediately return to the dugout? So what she continued to run to first. The defense needs to better understand the situation and the rule. Once infield fly is called they should be focusing on the other base runners. Ball is still a live ball.

May 29, 2015
Also, do we really expect a girl who just hit a ball to hear the infield fly call from the ump and immediately return to the dugout? So what she continued to run to first. The defense needs to better understand the situation and the rule. Once infield fly is called they should be focusing on the other base runners. Ball is still a live ball.

Devil’s Advocate:

Why do you expect the defense to know but not the offense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802