Dropped Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I still do not understand how the ground cannot cause a fumble, but it can cause an incomplete pass.

If still in possession of the football, you're down as soon as a knee or forearm hits the ground. Whatever happens after that doesn't matter, including the ball coming loose. When catching a pass or, in this case, a fly ball, the catch must be completed. Either you demonstrate control of the ball long enough to do something unrelated to the catch, or if going to the ground while making the catch, maintain control through contact with the ground.

May 29, 2015
Oh, I understand the language ... I don't understand the concept.

A RB going down is down when his knee or elbow hits ... a WR going down is not. Doesn't jive for me.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

A RB going down is down when his knee or elbow hits ... a WR going down is not. Doesn't jive for me.

Outfielder goes horizontal to catch a ball, player hits the ground, and ball pops out...no catch.

Outfielder catches ball, pulls it out of glove to throw, collides with another player and is knocked down, and the ball comes lose when her elbow hits the ground...still a catch.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Its a catch if she made 4 steps after catching the ball. Thats a clear possession. It only popped out after failing on the ground

Maybe not if those steps are falling, stumbling, out of control, going to the ground steps, though I suspect it wasn't really four full steps.

The concept: One has previously established possession, the other has not.

May 6, 2015

WR has not demonstrated possesion of the ball yet, RB has. And the rule is off, and the receiver becomes a ball carrier, if they made their "a football move " before going to ground.

Oct 4, 2018
Four steps is a lot. In four steps an Outfielder can be in the infield (if playing shallow). I think the answer comes down to those four steps.

Guess another example of the "don't fall if you don't have to".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478