Dropped Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Our LF came charging in on a short pop up, made the catch, took 4 steps and did a shoulder roll and quickly popped up, on way up, the ball came out of her mitt and hit the grass, catch or no?

Jun 22, 2008
Not a catch. Fielder must demonstrate control and/or voluntary release of the ball or have possession long enough to demonstrate control. If immediately after the catch the fielder collides with another fielder, the fence etc or falls to the ground and loses control of the ball it is not a catch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
I kind of figured that, coach was arguing it was a transfer. What would happen if the LF caught a easy fly ball For third out, then Started to jog in and ball fell out of the glove after 2-3 steps, would you call that a catch?

May 23, 2015
Its a catch if she made 4 steps after catching the ball. Thats a clear possession. It only popped out after failing on the ground

Jun 22, 2008
I kind of figured that, coach was arguing it was a transfer. What would happen if the LF caught a easy fly ball For third out, then Started to jog in and ball fell out of the glove after 2-3 steps, would you call that a catch?

Question, from your description I am envisioning an outfielder on a dead run going after a ball and is out of control when they catch the ball and ultimately goes to the ground losing control of the ball. Is that what happened?

There is a case play covering what you described in your 2nd post. It talks about a fielder that catches a ball and while jogging off the field trips over 3rd base falling and drops the ball. In that case they consider it a caught ball since the fielder demonstrated control of the ball for a sufficient period of time. But, if the fielder is still out of control running and going to the ground and loses the ball, that is not a catch.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If the extra steps and shoulder roll were all seen by the umpire as part of the act of catching the ball, I can see why it wasn't ruled a catch. Someone catching a ball, demonstrating control, and then tripping while jogging isn't the same thing.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
The ground didn't cause the ball to come out, she rolled with it, quickly came out of her roll on her feet, that's when the ball fell out.

Jun 22, 2008
Was going to the ground part of the fielders action in catching the ball? If so then it does not sound like a catch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2019
Sounds about as clear as the NFL "interpretation" of a catch. Dez caught it by the way.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I still do not understand how the ground cannot cause a fumble, but it can cause an incomplete pass. Same action, different players, different results. But I digress ...

I’m tending to agree with @Comp , but I could be convinced otherwise with video.

As for “the transfer” ... the catch must be made and completed first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28