Dropped 3rd strike - runner at 1st -less than 2 out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Comp. I agree in all cases the requirement for a quality throw still would apply. I didn't see the play, have no idea if throw to RF was air mailed or if the 1B could not field it because of the RETIRED BATTER. But, referring back to the OP under no circumstance I can see would a R1 be returned for any reason. If no interference the ball is live. If interference called, R1 is also out.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Simply running toward 1B when the dropped third strike rule is not in effect does not constitute interference.
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered
a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on
the dropped third strike rule.)

Given that the D3K rule does not apply in this situation, aren't these contradictory statements?

Jun 22, 2008
The rule doesn't say running and drawing a throw "is" interference, it says it "may" be considered interference. The clarification also states it is partly the defenses responsibility to know the situation and it goes on to state airmailing the ball is not interference. So no, it is not a conflict or contradictory statements.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

" Both
I read the original as asking a question about a HS game but used description of a college game, but I see they asked about both.

Also cannot tell exactly what the post is saying, "both batters run toward first'? There is only 1 batter. But, that being said, even if the runner was going back to first base, airmailing the ball into right field is not interference. USA rules and clarifications.

Play: With one out and R1 on 1B, B3 swings at the ball for strike three and the catcher drops the ball. B3 runs toward 1B because the catcher dropped the ball in a) the catcher throws the ball wildly to 1B and the ball goes into RF, b) the catcher throws to pick off R1 but hits the retired B3 in the back with the ball.
Ruling: (Rule 8, Section 7P EFFECT: When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner. EFFECT: The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference is out. All runners not out must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered
a form of interference. This does not applyto the batter-runner running on
the dropped third strike rule.)

It is the responsibility of both the catcher and the batter to know the game situation. The dropped third strike rule is not in effect in this situation; therefore the batter-runner is not running under the dropped third strike rule. If the umpire judges the action of the retired batter to have hindered, impeded, or confused the defense, this is interference. Simply running toward 1B when the dropped third strike rule is not in effect does not constitute interference. With that said in a) if the umpire judged the throw was wild because the catcher made a bad throw, it is not interference. In b) if the umpire judged the thrown ball hitting the retired B3, impeded the defense’s opportunity to execute a play, interference should be called on a retired offensive player and the runner closest to home would be called out as well.
r

@Comp. I agree in all cases the requirement for a quality throw still would apply. I didn't see the play, have no idea if throw to RF was air mailed or if the 1B could not field it because of the RETIRED BATTER. But, referring back to the OP under no circumstance I can see would a R1 be returned for any reason. If no interference the ball is live. If interference called, R1 is also out.
In HS game, the batter running to 1st was in the running lane properly - throw hit her in right shoulder ---- In college game the 1B was not covering 1st --- apparently she understood the batter was out - catcher's throw was high, to no one in particular, and went straight to RF

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
In HS game, the batter running to 1st was in the running lane properly - throw hit her in right shoulder ---- In college game the 1B was not covering 1st --- apparently she understood the batter was out - catcher's throw was high, to no one in particular, and went straight to RF

She should have been covering first because it was still a live play with a runner on 1st. Defense has to know the situation.

Mar 28, 2014
Actually, it is great coaching, The batter is already out, but the defense can get the interference call simply by making a quality throw to first that isn't fielded cleanly.
Lol......... man that's such a reach. You're going to pull your arm out of it's socket if you reach any further trying to make a narrative fit.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Catcher should know better. Can't believe a P5 college catcher would try to throw down....
I think we're talking the same play, runner on 1st had taken off to steal 2nd, so by the time catcher looked up, she probably couldn't find the runner she thought was on first, so it may have looked like an open base to her. Made the throw just to be sure, but botched it. I agree with you though, should have known better. Those are the things that need to be thought of before the pitch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802