droping the backside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
OK......last post was concerning bat lag wich may or may not have been the real problem. After taking some video of her this weekend, it appears the larger problem is the droping of the back shouder when swinging. As soon as I can figure out how to edit the video I will get a swing posted for everyone to help.

Are there any drills to get her to feel how the backside should be?

Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2008
Try to take a dry swing yourself creating bat drag by getting your elbows out in front of your hands. Did your back shoulder dip?

May 28, 2008
Try to take a dry swing yourself creating bat drag by getting your elbows out in front of your hands. Did your back shoulder dip?

you bet it did.........LOL......It just didn't look like her elbow was ahead in the video I took???

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Don't you need to drop your back shoulder some to get your bat on an upward plane?
The fence drill stopped my dd's bat drag.

May 28, 2008
Don't you need to drop your back shoulder some to get your bat on an upward plane?
The fence drill stopped my dd's bat drag.

what is the fense drill?

With her hitting she is either striking out.........hitting solid (major league) pop ups to short outfield or jacking it over the OF head, which has been too few and far between.

When I look at videos I see slight droping of the back shoulder but hers is a lot more than what I see.

May 28, 2008
I also think she is to close to her body with her back elbow. I am correct in thinkiing there should be some seperation and not in tight to the body?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
fence drill: dd's batting coach has her put the knob of her bat on her belly button then walk up to a fence or net until the end of her bat touches the fence, then get in her stance and swing from that distance to the fence without hitting it.
Epstein says that he has hitters get even closer like 14 inches from the fence.

May 28, 2008
fence drill: dd's batting coach has her put the knob of her bat on her belly button then walk up to a fence or net until the end of her bat touches the fence, then get in her stance and swing from that distance to the fence without hitting it.
Epstein says that he has hitters get even closer like 14 inches from the fence.

cool will give it a shot. Makes sense I guess!

May 13, 2008
I also think she is to close to her body with her back elbow. I am correct in thinkiing there should be some seperation and not in tight to the body?

Correct. The rear elbow should be slotted and stacked, but not jammed into the side.

I still like that reverse top hand drill we talked about in the bat drag thread. Did you get the chance to try that one?

May 28, 2008
Correct. The rear elbow should be slotted and stacked, but not jammed into the side.

I still like that reverse top hand drill we talked about in the bat drag thread. Did you get the chance to try that one?

Yes she is doing it but probably not enough. She just finished school and 8th grade stuff so if she wants to get better I will ask her to take swings everyday. As of the the last 2 weeks she has been too busy with games, practice, and school stuff.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee