Droped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

This scenario unveiled itself at a recent mens's fastpitch game.

It was early in the game and the result of this play had an impact on the outcome.

Two outs runner third.
A third strike developed into a dropped strike and was spilt to the side near the fence. The runner on third took off and crossed the plate ahead of the runner being thrown out at first base.

The defending team took it that the run was not scored, and that was the indication from the plate umpire.

However, during the last inning, with the same team in defense a run was scored which they believed to be tying run. But were amazed when the ball game was called since the run above was actually scored as a run which gave them the winning run.

Was that correct?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Seems pretty easy to me:

ASA Softball Rule 5(B):

No run shall be scored if the third out of the inning is the result of: (1) A batter-runner being called out prior to reaching first base or any other runner forced out due to the batter becoming a batter-runner.

So, if the batter is put out by force or being tagged prior to reaching 1B, then the run did not count.

Attachments

• legs2.jpg
    legs2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 44
  • legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 30

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Seems pretty easy to me:

ASA Softball Rule 5(B):

So, if the batter is put out by force or being tagged prior to reaching 1B, then the run did not count.

Same for ISF, but a little clarity. The run does not count because the BR did not reach 1B safely. I only say that because there is no such thing as a force out at 1B.

Dec 31, 2008
I would say, as sluggers says, if they were tagged out or out by the force play, the run should not count.

Anybody know the reason behind the drop 3rd strike rule?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I would say, as sluggers says, if they were tagged out or out by the force play, the run should not count.

Anybody know the reason behind the drop 3rd strike rule?

Do you mean why it exists? Probably a leftover from the game Rounders, the predecessor of baseball and softball.

In that game, the striker ran when they hit the ball or after a certain number of pitches whether hit or not.

Just a guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802