Dropball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
Her control definitely needs to get better, although there was a big adjustment moving 5 feet back and using a bigger ball. She was around a 60% strike ratio. That was counteracted by teams having a .151 BA against her, only 2 extra base hits, and 40% of the hits she gave up never left the infield. She had nearly 2Ks per inning, albeit “helped” by errors and 3rd drops. As noted before, this was playing against a lot of organizations people would recognize - Newtown Rock, PA Chaos, Ruthless, NJ Intensity - not a bunch of town teams.

Towards the end of 10U she was generally around 65% strikes, so want to get back to there.

I think I lot of the mechanical issues are physical maturity and strength. It looks like a good gust of wind would blow my DD over at this point. She’s currently on break from pitching, but scapular control was something she was working on, which likely leads to a more bent arm.

I’m still not sure if that tilt ever fully goes away, but I did find one really good pitcher that would tilt. Lots of weird successful motions out there.
Most of the advice here is really picking at nits if you will. That you realize she's not physically mature is the most important thing so far. You've built a very good base. Taking a break is very good too! Take advantage of it. My DD starts back next week and we're working on getting more bend and a timing issue. What do I bring that up? So I can give you advice on starting back, from someone experienced in starting back, LOL.

1. Start slow - you see value in a break than I bet you already know to start back slow. No pocket radar yet!
2. Start at the beginning. Get the back chain perfect at each step before you move on to the next.
3. Use a net. Sorry dad...put the glove away for a bit.
4. Work on 1 thing at a time. Maybe 2.
5. Go slow
6. Go slow
PSA over...

My opinion is for you to work on the arm bend(whip) and stabilizing the shoulders behind the hips. Try to move the camera to the throwing side - you don't care where the ball is going to start. You can work on leg drive all you want, but her physical maturity is the biggest obstacle there. We can preach do this, or do that, all we want, but the core strength isn't always there! Focus on the arm whip & shoulder stability and get it right before she even throws a pitch and you'll be well on your way when it's time to go full!

PS, I don't know you're kid, but if you're worried about starting slow, try it first. With my kid and students it's usually the parents pushing. The kids often appreciate the "reward" of moving on to the next thing. If they get mad that they don't get to pitch we just move on to some strength drill. (or with my kid - hitting) The parents get bored, but oh well, sorry dad, we're going to do 9:00 until it's perfect!

Have fun. My DD has been off for 7 weeks...one to go!

Jan 28, 2017
I made a mistake once, admitted to it and nothing has happened since. I screwed up 🤷🏽‍♂️ That may be my reputation on here only because I admitted I screwed up. I am pretty certain it isn’t my reputation in the real world.

You on the other hand ask for “help” and then proceed to make excuses or brag when others are trying to help you. If don’t like the help either say thanks and move on or give a nuanced response which doesn’t include stats which mean almost nothing at that age. My comment was with regards to the rose-colored glasses many parents wear..something I won’t ever be accused of.

Here is a newsflash, most 10 and 11 YO can’t hit. The kids in the video you showed look like they barely know which end of the bat to hold. Your kid looks like she has potential but slow your roll.

Edit: and the cops thing, for those who don’t know, was silly since they were called because I threw a water bottle (a gallon water bottle..) at the OF fence and missed and the umpire , who was in the IF, said she thought I was trying to hit her with it…Stupid yes but probably not worthy of police intervention.

Edit 2: Tell @Tango I said Hi..😉

I made a mistake once, admitted to it and nothing has happened since. I screwed up 🤷🏽‍♂️ That may be my reputation on here only because I admitted I screwed up. I am pretty certain it isn’t my reputation in the real world.

You on the other hand ask for “help” and then proceed to make excuses or brag when others are trying to help you. If don’t like the help either say thanks and move on or give a nuanced response which doesn’t include stats which mean almost nothing at that age. My comment was with regards to the rose-colored glasses many parents wear..something I won’t ever be accused of.

Here is a newsflash, most 10 and 11 YO can’t hit. The kids in the video you showed look like they barely know which end of the bat to hold. Your kid looks like she has potential but slow your roll.

Edit: and the cops thing, for those who don’t know, was silly since they were called because I threw a water bottle (a gallon water bottle..) at the OF fence and missed and the umpire , who was in the IF, said she thought I was trying to hit her with it…Stupid yes but probably not worthy of police intervention.

Edit 2: Tell @Tango I said Hi..😉
Hi. Hate for you to get dehydrated. Drink you gallon of water. Geez

Jun 8, 2016
Hi. Hate for you to get dehydrated drink you gallon of water. Geez
I needed a new one anyway. On my 5 mile walk back to the hotel after that (to cool down..) I stopped to get a new one at Walmart. I drink a lot of water 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jan 28, 2017
I needed a new one anyway. On my 5 mile walk back to the hotel after that (to cool down..) I stopped to get a new one at Walmart. I drink a lot of water 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thought you were full hot air not water. Smiley face thingy again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812