Dropball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Bend in the arm will allow her to throw harder and more movement on her rise and curve ball, IMO. I would think it would help her locate better in the long run. My DD is 15 and a strike machine. She has the ability to throw different everyday and still hit spots. It isn't optimal for overall mechanics and wondering if your DD has great control.

Nov 22, 2019
Her control definitely needs to get better, although there was a big adjustment moving 5 feet back and using a bigger ball. She was around a 60% strike ratio. That was counteracted by teams having a .151 BA against her, only 2 extra base hits, and 40% of the hits she gave up never left the infield. She had nearly 2Ks per inning, albeit “helped” by errors and 3rd drops. As noted before, this was playing against a lot of organizations people would recognize - Newtown Rock, PA Chaos, Ruthless, NJ Intensity - not a bunch of town teams.

Towards the end of 10U she was generally around 65% strikes, so want to get back to there.

I think I lot of the mechanical issues are physical maturity and strength. It looks like a good gust of wind would blow my DD over at this point. She’s currently on break from pitching, but scapular control was something she was working on, which likely leads to a more bent arm.

I’m still not sure if that tilt ever fully goes away, but I did find one really good pitcher that would tilt. Lots of weird successful motions out there.

Jan 28, 2017
Her control definitely needs to get better, although there was a big adjustment moving 5 feet back and using a bigger ball. She was around a 60% strike ratio. That was counteracted by teams having a .151 BA against her, only 2 extra base hits, and 40% of the hits she gave up never left the infield. She had nearly 2Ks per inning, albeit “helped” by errors and 3rd drops. As noted before, this was playing against a lot of organizations people would recognize - Newtown Rock, PA Chaos, Ruthless, NJ Intensity - not a bunch of town teams.

Towards the end of 10U she was generally around 65% strikes, so want to get back to there.

I think I lot of the mechanical issues are physical maturity and strength. It looks like a good gust of wind would blow my DD over at this point. She’s currently on break from pitching, but scapular control was something she was working on, which likely leads to a more bent arm.

I’m still not sure if that tilt ever fully goes away, but I did find one really good pitcher that would tilt. Lots of weird successful motions out there.
OK. Was wondering if she changed mechanics day to day and threw strikes. Making the ball move different but throwing strikes.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
IMO, her arm is to straight at 12 o'clock, her drive leg is late and not stacked, which leads to a bowling action (peel), and her elbow goes out at release which causes some rollover and maybe curve action.

Yes the leg drive right now is chaos. The wiggle back and forward hurts the leg drive.

Jun 8, 2016
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the parent with the reputation for getting kicked out of games, making their 9 year old daughter cry, and having the cops called on them?
I made a mistake once, admitted to it and nothing has happened since. I screwed up 🤷🏽‍♂️ That may be my reputation on here only because I admitted I screwed up. I am pretty certain it isn’t my reputation in the real world.

You on the other hand ask for “help” and then proceed to make excuses or brag when others are trying to help you. If don’t like the help either say thanks and move on or give a nuanced response which doesn’t include stats which mean almost nothing at that age. My comment was with regards to the rose-colored glasses many parents wear..something I won’t ever be accused of.

Here is a newsflash, most 10 and 11 YO can’t hit. The kids in the video you showed look like they barely know which end of the bat to hold. Your kid looks like she has potential but slow your roll.

Edit: and the cops thing, for those who don’t know, was silly since they were called because I threw a water bottle (a gallon water bottle..) at the OF fence and missed and the umpire , who was in the IF, said she thought I was trying to hit her with it…Stupid yes but probably not worthy of police intervention.

Edit 2: Tell @Tango I said Hi..😉

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015

You did not mention walk counts. This fall I think my DD had 7 walks in 31 innings. This is a bit high, but that’s 18U gold. She also had 50Ks and a 20% swing and miss percentage.

With those numbers it’s time to find better competition. The mention of errors and dropped 3rds tells me there is a higher level, but it’s been a while since I saw a 12u game.

You have time, keep working! She looks good! Your DD reminds me of mine when she was younger. She’s 5’10 now and will be off to play in college next fall.

Once the mechanics are sound, get stronger, work the change a lot. Two things I wish I could have done better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
IMO, her arm is to straight at 12 o'clock, her drive leg is late and not stacked, which leads to a bowling action (peel), and her elbow goes out at release which causes some rollover and maybe curve action.
I agree, these symptoms all go together and it's difficult to say what the root cause is, if there is a root cause. In a motion that fully utilizes IR the pitcher will be tilted back a little at landing which leaves room for the arm/elbow to come and brush into release. In some cases a pitcher learns to force the arm/elbow/hand into release. This comes with a little forward lean and an early squaring of the shoulders ( sometimes a high right shoulder). Rather than whip they push into release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28