Drop dead time rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Drop dead time means that no new inning can start after that time is reached. Whatever inning the game is in must be completed. It does not mean that you stop a game in the middle of an inning. Any other interpretation is wrong.

Drop dead is ECATLY THAT. The game stops when time runs out. After that any other tournamnet rules are then addressed such as revert back or finish the inning.

Mar 28, 2014
In our area we run a 6 weekend league in mid-Sept/early Nov with 5 round robin days (i.e you play either Saturday or Sunday - we expanded a little to Friday night as well so we could fit more teams in that wanted in) and then a double-elimination weekend. We schedule around a couple of conflicting tournaments and their is a variety of ways to participate if you don't want to play the full round-robin schedule (especially in the older age groups).

8u/10U/12U is full and often on a large waitlist. The older age groups have teams in and our depending on their showcase schedule plus some local teams who want to stay local - we also get HS teams putting together an off-season teams for a weekend to integrate their freshman and so on. We also have teams come in across the state lookcing for competition that might play both days on a weekend to make the travel worth their time.

It is a great thing for everyone
That is a great thing you have going there.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
Drop dead is ECATLY THAT. The game stops when time runs out. After that any other tournamnet rules are then addressed such as revert back or finish the inning.
That’s fine but my gripe Mainly was with the time stalling. I haven’t spoken with the coach about what was said at home plate before the game ( I may not) so I’m not sure other parents didn’t hear it as well. I go out to center field when my DD pitches. So the rule I don’t like but I understand why it’s there

Nov 29, 2009
That’s fine but my gripe Mainly was with the time stalling. I haven’t spoken with the coach about what was said at home plate before the game ( I may not) so I’m not sure other parents didn’t hear it as well. I go out to center field when my DD pitches. So the rule I don’t like but I understand why it’s there

As long as there is a clock added to a sporting event there will be some type of clock management. It's talked about in football all the time. The longest half minute in the world is the last 30 seconds of a basketball game. Clock managemnt can be especially infuriating when it is applied to a sport that is not designed for it. That's when it seems like coaches have to resort to what are perceived as BS tactics to manage the clock.

As a coach I don't like timed games and I like timed games. I've been in tournaments that were 7 inning no time limit. These tournaments always run behind. There is nothing more frustrating than to show up to the fields to warm up your team only to find the game being played on your scheduled field is only in the 3rd inning and there is another game in front of yours. Now you're trying to find a way to keep your team up and ready for an extended period of time.

There is a guy named Dave Betcher who runs a lot of events in the Chicagoland area. He does reasonable time limits. Often you'll get a full game in or very close to full games in. He allows enough field changeover times that his events can run early if the weather doesn't interfere. If the weather plays havoc with the tournament he makes the necessary adjustments to the schedule and people still complain.

His events always fill up early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812