Drop dead time rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Drop dead time means that no new inning can start after that time is reached. Whatever inning the game is in must be completed. It does not mean that you stop a game in the middle of an inning. Any other interpretation is wrong.

Not sure what you are basing that on. Drop dead means drop dead. That’s it. Clock expires and immediate

Finish the at bat/inning/inning +1/no new inning after the time limit are not drop dead.

I’ve never worked a tournament (outside of showcases) that used drop dead right away. Any time I have encountered it was always changed as the result of weather delays and trying to get games squeezed in.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Drop dead time means that no new inning can start after that time is reached. Whatever inning the game is in must be completed. It does not mean that you stop a game in the middle of an inning. Any other interpretation is wrong.

Then DD's played in a lot of tournaments that got it wrong. I've seen them called drop dead OR finish the inning. Those things are not the same around here. Usually drop dead means finish the batter only.

Apr 20, 2015
In my neck of the woods we are subjected to drop dead and they mean at the minute and revert back. It's even at the state asa tournament in pool play. Timed softball irritates me enough but drop dead should never be used...ever...things like that are what make people think tournament directors are just in it for the money

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2019
Drop Dead
Finish the Batter
Finish the Inning...
....are all different rule sets that are spelled out before the tournament start. With that being said, all drop dead games that we played always reverted back to the last completed inning, and I have not seen those played since 10U.

Nov 29, 2009
Most of the tournaments now that have time limits are finish the inning. I know some of the really big tournaments will go with drop dead, revert to the last inning. Doing that helps ensure the pool play games are kept mostly on time.

Pretty much every tournament that I ever signed up for had the rules stated in the ads for them with the tournament rules being included in the tournament packet.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I cant emphasize enough. Vote with your feet. Go somewhere else.

If you don't have the option then do it yourself. Seen it done. It took 6 months to destroy one org in florida because one person took it on themselves to provide a better product.

Our org destroyed a travel league in 2 years by doing the same. No alternative travel league had 150 teams. Two years later then had 10 and we had 120 teams and turning teams away. All because we were willing g to put some work in and listened to what people wanted. We provided what teams wanted.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
In our USSSA tournaments around my area, drop dead means that....the game is over that second. There is no reversion to the last completed inning, no completing an at bat, etc. The game is over that second, the team that is ahead at that second wins.

Most of our area tournaments are 55 minute drop dead pool games, 75 minute finish the inning bracket games.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
In our USSSA tournaments around my area, drop dead means that....the game is over that second. There is no reversion to the last completed inning, no completing an at bat, etc. The game is over that second, the team that is ahead at that second wins.

Most of our area tournaments are 55 minute drop dead pool games, 75 minute finish the inning bracket games.

I agree with your post this game ended
And reverted back to the end of the last inning the team ahead lost, it was the bottom of the inning 2 outs and 2 strikes
On the batter. It was a asa 14 u pool play
Game DDs team didn’t win the tournament but played decent the rest of the weekend. I only have spoken with my DD briefly about this, so much more here it’s great. I try not to dwell on the past with her, being a pitcher, memory
Loss can be a good thing in this case. Lol

Mar 28, 2014
I cant emphasize enough. Vote with your feet. Go somewhere else.

If you don't have the option then do it yourself. Seen it done. It took 6 months to destroy one org in florida because one person took it on themselves to provide a better product.

Our org destroyed a travel league in 2 years by doing the same. No alternative travel league had 150 teams. Two years later then had 10 and we had 120 teams and turning teams away. All because we were willing g to put some work in and listened to what people wanted. We provided what teams wanted.
What is a travel league?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What is a travel league?
In our area we run a 6 weekend league in mid-Sept/early Nov with 5 round robin days (i.e you play either Saturday or Sunday - we expanded a little to Friday night as well so we could fit more teams in that wanted in) and then a double-elimination weekend. We schedule around a couple of conflicting tournaments and their is a variety of ways to participate if you don't want to play the full round-robin schedule (especially in the older age groups).

8u/10U/12U is full and often on a large waitlist. The older age groups have teams in and our depending on their showcase schedule plus some local teams who want to stay local - we also get HS teams putting together an off-season teams for a weekend to integrate their freshman and so on. We also have teams come in across the state lookcing for competition that might play both days on a weekend to make the travel worth their time.

It is a great thing for everyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802