Drop dead time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
to show what a nerd I am, the snitch was worth 150 points, but catching it ended the game. So you could have a big enough lead to survive the other team catching it, but it was hard.
I open at the close.

I am bored to tears with most sci-fi etc. Love that series.

Geeez quidditch....

At the park where I do lesson's there is a group of people who go out and play that. They set up big hoops to throw a ball through, and they run around with poles between their legs....that sticks out in the front and from the back....

I may be a Potter fan but I would never do that. That’s goofy.

Turl

Loves to watch slappers in action!
May 4, 2015
Central Iowa
The worst tournament with 'drop dead' times was a Perfect Game fastpitch tournament where they took whatever the score was right at the 'drop dead' time. They would NOT revert back to the previous innning's score. So if you are the visiting team and you were losing last inning but you just took the lead and time ran out . . .you win. . . .the home team does not get a chance to bat and they don't revert back to the previous inning's score. Kind of avoiding PG fastpitch tourneys that will have 'drop dead' games after that experience.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Had a drop dead game a few years back; our team (home) was up by 1 at the end of 5th. Visiting team scored in top of 6th to take lead, but time expired, reverting the score. Because we were up after the reversion, but the other team was winning when the drop dead time expired, we played a tie breaker inning (ended up losing).

Apr 1, 2017
Had a drop dead game a few years back; our team (home) was up by 1 at the end of 5th. Visiting team scored in top of 6th to take lead, but time expired, reverting the score. Because we were up after the reversion, but the other team was winning when the drop dead time expired, we played a tie breaker inning (ended up losing).
That seems even more dumb than 'drop dead'. Why not just do "finish the inning"???

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
I've only really seen that format for showcases, and even then, it's usually "finish the batter." That sucks for that team you were playing. Seems like that format invites all sorts of clock manipulation shenanigans (e.g., mound visit where everyone talks about their favorite Waffle House item; we had a coach who used to do that).
Coach switching pitchers 3 times in one inning once. With of course each pitcher walking a batter. Up by only one run but they knew time would run out.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Drop dead is tough my DDs team lost a game when they were actually winning
Drop dead rule went into effect with 2 outs in the bottom half of the inning but they revert back to the last completed inning. The worst part was there wasn’t another game after them! It needs to be used with common sense. Unfortunately many of these tournaments aren’t for the game there for the money. Just my opinion I have no facts to back the last statement up.

So, is it fair that other teams have to play drop dead/revert back because there’s another game on the field, but the last game on that field shouldn’t have to? No way it should work that way. Everybody plays by the same time limit rules for that day, regardless if there’s a game afterwards on that field or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I always hated when there were only a few minutes left and the opposing team would call time out to bring in a new pitcher to eat up time.

So, it’s perfectly acceptable for a coach to request time to make a pitching change when there’s 42 minutes left on the clock, but when there’s only 2 minutes left it shouldn’t be allowed?

As an umpire, I’m granting time when a coach makes a reasonable request for it, no matter how much time is left on the clock. It’s when it becomes blatantly abusive where I’ll put a stop to it. But it’s not our job to change the way we umpire as the drop dead time gets closer. It always bothers me when coaches and fans start complaining that I should do something different to speed things up. It’s not in our list of responsibilities to be clock managers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K