Drop dead time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
If you’re in a drop dead and the other team starts to stall, pull out your phone and start recording. They’ll either be shamed into stopping, or you’ll have a basis to appeal. And maybe it will stop them from doing it next time.

Mar 13, 2017
If you’re in a drop dead and the other team starts to stall, pull out your phone and start recording. They’ll either be shamed into stopping, or you’ll have a basis to appeal. And maybe it will stop them from doing it next time.
Team notorious for wasting clock between innings and mound visits finally made me snap.

if time was called or between innings I would stand next to the umpire with my timer going forcing them to enforce the time limit. I’ve never seen it called but according to USA Softball a game should be called and the team intentionally delaying or hastening the game should be made to forfeit.

Dec 11, 2010
Have ben playing 70 min finish the inning last 3-4 weekends. If you don’t mess around between innings you usually get around 6 innings. I’m at 18u and most of the teams want to play as much as possible and I have not really perceived any stalling. (I always take visitor too- even in bracket. I haven’t had me second cup of coffee. That might be why no one is stalling.)

We don’t allow hitters/base runners to come back into dugout. (Except catcher) They are to set their stuff down wherever they are and someone on bench will bring them their pile of glove/visor/mask whatever. Coach or bench player grab the batting helmet if it’s an in the game defensive player that brings their stuff out. People, do this. It looks sharp and makes the changeover move. You get more game. It also keeps bench players more involved.

One tournament was 70/finish the inning. When the last defensive player crossed the white line toward the dugout the ump would call “30 seconds” and the new defensive players were supposed to reply “30 seconds”. The umpire would then call out “10 seconds”, with another player read back. If the defense wasn’t ready to pitch, the umpire was supposed to start calling balls. If there wasn’t a hitter, the umpire was supposed to start calling strikes. I never saw that happen. It worked pretty good. It doesn’t sound like much time but at 18’s at least, it seemed right.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Keep saying this...
If your going to play in drop dead tournys.
(which no one HAS TO DO)

*Both teams can control the clock.

Work strategy.
Or Dont play
Or geeez stop complaining.
Because
*The clock is part of the game in drop dead!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Hear me out ... I‘m not disagreeing IF you are playing the game the way baseball/softball was designed: an equitable number of chances regardless of time.

However, once you make it a TIMED DROP DEAD game, the game of an equitable number of chances goes out the window. Teams are not guaranteed the same number of possessions in any timed sport (that I can think of). Football does not play four quarters of 10 offensive possessions each. Basketball doesn’t guarantee each team 40 shots per half.

Unless you are the Patriots (*zing!*) NO sport is going back and taking points off the board once time expires.

So ... my contention is that EITHER finish the inning OR absolute drop dead are fair. You can strategize and play accordingly if you know what is happening.

They are different games, but they are both fair. Drop dead revert is inherently unfair (though you can argue it is equally unfair). You are playing one game by the other game’s rules — you have 75 minutes, unless the wrong team is at bat at the time limit, then we are erasing both time that was played AND offense that was generated ... which potentially changes the winner of the game (as we’ve seen).

EDIT — Qidditch. I wasn’t a fan of the Harry Potter books, but the game Of Qidditch seemed completely facacta to me. You can play and play and play and beat your opponent into oblivion ... but none of it matters if something else (catching the thing) happens.

Snitch.

Yeah, it made the game too goofy. You can be up a ton and dominating your team but if the one wimpy dude happens to catch the snitch your team wins. Boo!

Feb 20, 2020
Snitch.

Yeah, it made the game too goofy. You can be up a ton and dominating your team but if the one wimpy dude happens to catch the snitch your team wins. Boo!

to show what a nerd I am, the snitch was worth 150 points, but catching it ended the game. So you could have a big enough lead to survive the other team catching it, but it was hard.

Apr 17, 2019
to show what a nerd I am, the snitch was worth 150 points, but catching it ended the game. So you could have a big enough lead to survive the other team catching it, but it was hard.

New site: discussquidditch.com Wasn't there a game in one of the books where the one team was down by 160, so the losing team's seeker saw the snitch and pretended they saw it in the other direction as a misdirection play?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Geeez quidditch....

At the park where I do lesson's there is a group of people who go out and play that. They set up big hoops to throw a ball through, and they run around with poles between their legs....that sticks out in the front and from the back....

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Now, I'm a nerd, but that's over-the-top nerdom, giving nerds a bad name. No offense to any quidditch players out there... maybe some offense.... This coming from someone with My LIttle Pony as their avatar...

Also, if the game has gone on for days or weeks... if 150 points is still a deciding margin of victory, I'm very surprised. Lots of loopholes in that game. (pun intended)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802