Drop dead time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
At the very least no bracket play or championship game should ever be drop dead. I cannot recall the last time we entered a tournament where the title game wasn't 7 innings (run rule yes, but no time limit).

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but the more teams that avoid tournaments with the drop dead rule the fewer there will be.
I do avoid signing up for them. The problem that comes up is weather. Seems like the first “solution” to any kind of rain delays is “drop dead” games.

May 29, 2015
I do not like drop dead ... but it is not inherently unfair.

They got 75 minutes, you got 75 minutes.

There should NEVER be a reversion -- that is where it becomes unfair. Either the game is timed or it isn't.

Jun 22, 2008
I do not like drop dead ... but it is not inherently unfair.

They got 75 minutes, you got 75 minutes.

There should NEVER be a reversion -- that is where it becomes unfair. Either the game is timed or it isn't.

There do appear to be tournaments around the country that are using drop dead time limits and the score stands at that time regardless of who is at bat. That situation is inherently unfair as if the visiting team is at bat then they have gotten an additional at bat the home team has not. The basis of scoring in softball and baseball is that each team gets an equal number of turns at bat with the home team always getting the final turn at bat UNLESS they are already ahead.

Sep 17, 2009
Want to have fist fights between coaches about 'stallling'? Make a game drop-dead. That's about all they are good for (outside of, as someone mentioned, exposures and showcases). I've run many tournaments, finish the inning solves most problems including most time-run-overs.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
, finish the inning solves most problems including most time-run-overs.
Finish the inning please!

Odd when score reverts back
But atleast both teams get equal at bats.

If entering into drop dead format.
Use strategy to not let opposing team get the exta at bat.
It maybe irritating to do, however it can be done by one team or both.
Ways to speed up the game.
&
Ways to stretch it out.

Ever play a team who takes the entire 20 seconds inbetween pitches?!

How about a team who doesnt take infield warm ups each inning?!

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
There do appear to be tournaments around the country that are using drop dead time limits and the score stands at that time regardless of who is at bat. That situation is inherently unfair as if the visiting team is at bat then they have gotten an additional at bat the home team has not. The basis of scoring in softball and baseball is that each team gets an equal number of turns at bat with the home team always getting the final turn at bat UNLESS they are already ahead.
We played in one this weekend. It's not the NORMAL for this tournament in year past. It was a COVID adjustment. All teams playing in the park started and ended at the same time. Teams left the park. Dugouts sanitized and new teams allowed to enter.

And it was a hard stop. Times up- didn't matter if the middle of inning or an at bat.

some grumbling about this format. They reverted back to the last full inning, unless home team was up to bat and ahead. Tie games...winner decided on a coin flip.

The alternative was not playing at all.

This was an exception to the way this tournament usually is run where you finish the inning.

May 29, 2015

Hear me out ... I‘m not disagreeing IF you are playing the game the way baseball/softball was designed: an equitable number of chances regardless of time.

However, once you make it a TIMED DROP DEAD game, the game of an equitable number of chances goes out the window. Teams are not guaranteed the same number of possessions in any timed sport (that I can think of). Football does not play four quarters of 10 offensive possessions each. Basketball doesn’t guarantee each team 40 shots per half.

Unless you are the Patriots (*zing!*) NO sport is going back and taking points off the board once time expires.

So ... my contention is that EITHER finish the inning OR absolute drop dead are fair. You can strategize and play accordingly if you know what is happening.

They are different games, but they are both fair. Drop dead revert is inherently unfair (though you can argue it is equally unfair). You are playing one game by the other game’s rules — you have 75 minutes, unless the wrong team is at bat at the time limit, then we are erasing both time that was played AND offense that was generated ... which potentially changes the winner of the game (as we’ve seen).

EDIT — Qidditch. I wasn’t a fan of the Harry Potter books, but the game Of Qidditch seemed completely facacta to me. You can play and play and play and beat your opponent into oblivion ... but none of it matters if something else (catching the thing) happens.

Aug 25, 2019
We played in one this weekend. It's not the NORMAL for this tournament in year past. It was a COVID adjustment. All teams playing in the park started and ended at the same time. Teams left the park. Dugouts sanitized and new teams allowed to enter.

And it was a hard stop. Times up- didn't matter if the middle of inning or an at bat.

some grumbling about this format. They reverted back to the last full inning, unless home team was up to bat and ahead. Tie games...winner decided on a coin flip.

The alternative was not playing at all.

This was an exception to the way this tournament usually is run where you finish the inning.
We played the same way this weekend. It wasn't really a tournament, we just played 2 games Saturday, 2 games Sunday, then went home (Friday was rained out), so drop dead wasn't so bad in this scenario, but wouldn't want to do it with a championship on the line.

Say The Man In Blue, I sent you an email!

Jun 22, 2008
Hear me out ... I‘m not disagreeing IF you are playing the game the way baseball/softball was designed: an equitable number of chances regardless of time.

However, once you make it a TIMED DROP DEAD game, the game of an equitable number of chances goes out the window. Teams are not guaranteed the same number of possessions in any timed sport (that I can think of). Football does not play four quarters of 10 offensive possessions each. Basketball doesn’t guarantee each team 40 shots per half.

Unless you are the Patriots (*zing!*) NO sport is going back and taking points off the board once time expires.

So ... my contention is that EITHER finish the inning OR absolute drop dead are fair. You can strategize and play accordingly if you know what is happening.

They are different games, but they are both fair. Drop dead revert is inherently unfair (though you can argue it is equally unfair). You are playing one game by the other game’s rules — you have 75 minutes, unless the wrong team is at bat at the time limit, then we are erasing both time that was played AND offense that was generated ... which potentially changes the winner of the game (as we’ve seen).

EDIT — Qidditch. I wasn’t a fan of the Harry Potter books, but the game Of Qidditch seemed completely facacta to me. You can play and play and play and beat your opponent into oblivion ... but none of it matters if something else (catching the thing) happens.

You cant compare football, basketball etc to baseball or softball. The most very basic tenet of baseball and softball is that both teams get an equal number of offensive innings, unless the home team is ahead. AND, the home team ALWAYS gets the last opportunity at bat if they are behind. No, football and basketball do not guarantee an equal number of ball possessions, baseball and softball do.

The only fair way that drop dead tournaments can be played is to revert to the last complete inning if the home team has not received their opportunity to bat and is behind. As I have said numerous times on this board, if tournaments are holding drop dead tournaments and they arent reverting the score then stop patronizing those tournaments.

The only tournaments I have ever worked that were drop dead were college showcase and mean nothing tournaments that the game had absolutely no bearing on any standing or placement. Most tournaments here have been 1:20 and complete the inning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28