drop ball thingy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
We learned at a camp oh so many years ago to put it knee high 5' in front of home and try to hit it. We use an elastic band from the fabric store stretched to two plastic sticks that go in the dirt. It's a bit adjustable so I have DD stand in the batter's box and she pick's out the lowest height she thinks is going to be a strike that she'd swing at. Then she tries to hit it with the bottom of the ball on the the drop & change. We break it out when she starts drifting too far up in the zone.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
sooo, re purpose and re use. a couple of 2x6 pressure treated boards, used telescoping clothes rack, screws at 18", 21" and 24", and thin rope. I'm thinking half way at 24" and then going down as I get closer to home?

I think your string is too thick and too close together. Spread the standards apart about 5+ feet. I like two strings for both halfway or at 4-5 feet from the plate. When up close, the lower string is just above knee high and the upper one around the letters. This option looks good:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
May I ask silly question? Are the strings there so the pitcher can see the ball can presumably go under them?

Jan 6, 2018
May I ask silly question? Are the strings there so the pitcher can see the ball can presumably go under them?
Or hit them, but yes, for us. Not so much now approaching 15, but at 12 or so it's a good tool to get consistent trajectory and see the movement. Or simply a fun game to break stuff up... like see how many drop balls out of 20 can touch it. Now she sees it without the tool, but we'll probably break it out again as we get super bored for the foreseeable future!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802