drop ball thingy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Fair enough. I'd be curious why you think the spinner is better than the ball with the sides collapsed.
Well honestly I've never used the flat sided ball you're referring to, so I can't make a comparison there. But this PC I spoke about earlier was only the second PC my DD has ever had, the first one was a older guy from age 10 through 16. This new coach was a woman on her mid to late twenties, she introduced the spinner to us, I have never hated one thing ever in my life as much as that hard yellow spinner!!

After warming up, she would put Anna through all her pitching drills with the spinner first, 12 to 15 minutes worth, it took probably 3 maybe 4 lessons for her to get really proficient with the spinner (and for me to stop hating it) and it really tightened up her spin with EVERY pitch, but especially her curve and riseball. If not for this instructor, I would have agreed with you 100%, I never had any intentions of ever using one! But......I saw first hand when properly used, it's a very effective tool, at least for us! She made every one of her students use one, from 10 year old beginners to college pitchers.

BTW, this older PC I was talking about was from Akron Ohio, he played in a men's fastpitch league, Anna was probably 12 years old at the time, so roughly 8 years ago? At one of his lessons your name got brought up, he knew you, he said he was supposed to pitch against you one night in a game many years ago, and that some kind of crazy depression came through (terrible storm) and it was cancelled and never rescheduled. This guy is in his mid to late seventies now and one of the most incredible human beings I've ever had the pleasure of being around! It took Anna quite some time to adjust from being with him for so long to going to this new PC, cause she's TOUGH! You don't do things the way she likes, she loves "activities" which is her term for running, burpees, push ups, and sit ups. She had a really good way of helping a girl focus, I loved her!

Anyway, that's my spinner story!

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Erie Bud has not had a team in Dunkirk in about 3 years. Believe me I would know The sponsor would sometimes put money into another team but that's very different from changing teams.... and he would NEVER change names of the team.
Right. 3 years ago, I looked for you as they said you were their manager. 2 years ago, they were Erie Bud players on another sponsored team, I believe.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
sooo, re purpose and re use. a couple of 2x6 pressure treated boards, used telescoping clothes rack, screws at 18", 21" and 24", and thin rope. I'm thinking half way at 24" and then going down as I get closer to home?

Attachments

• P_20200407_145635_HDR[1].jpg
    P_20200407_145635_HDR[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
sooo, re purpose and re use. a couple of 2x6 pressure treated boards, used telescoping clothes rack, screws at 18", 21" and 24", and thin rope. I'm thinking half way at 24" and then going down as I get closer to home?

You need two.

The middle one is about 30 inches high. Then, you need a second at home plate at about 18 inches inches tall. The ball goes over the first one and under the second one.

Jan 28, 2017
Saw someone pitching into a net. Two holes in a net- one high and one low. Throw at the high one and try to ring the low one. Same with curve ball but to holes to the side.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
You need two.

The middle one is about 30 inches high. Then, you need a second at home plate at about 18 inches inches tall. The ball goes over the first one and under the second one.
OK, so where is the second one located and am I still using a bucket? Is the pitch supposed to drop on the plate? I can see another check of my spare stuff inventory. lol

Aug 21, 2008
Well honestly I've never used the flat sided ball you're referring to, so I can't make a comparison there. But this PC I spoke about earlier was only the second PC my DD has ever had, the first one was a older guy from age 10 through 16. This new coach was a woman on her mid to late twenties, she introduced the spinner to us, I have never hated one thing ever in my life as much as that hard yellow spinner!!

After warming up, she would put Anna through all her pitching drills with the spinner first, 12 to 15 minutes worth, it took probably 3 maybe 4 lessons for her to get really proficient with the spinner (and for me to stop hating it) and it really tightened up her spin with EVERY pitch, but especially her curve and riseball. If not for this instructor, I would have agreed with you 100%, I never had any intentions of ever using one! But......I saw first hand when properly used, it's a very effective tool, at least for us! She made every one of her students use one, from 10 year old beginners to college pitchers.

BTW, this older PC I was talking about was from Akron Ohio, he played in a men's fastpitch league, Anna was probably 12 years old at the time, so roughly 8 years ago? At one of his lessons your name got brought up, he knew you, he said he was supposed to pitch against you one night in a game many years ago, and that some kind of crazy depression came through (terrible storm) and it was cancelled and never rescheduled. This guy is in his mid to late seventies now and one of the most incredible human beings I've ever had the pleasure of being around! It took Anna quite some time to adjust from being with him for so long to going to this new PC, cause she's TOUGH! You don't do things the way she likes, she loves "activities" which is her term for running, burpees, push ups, and sit ups. She had a really good way of helping a girl focus, I loved her!

Anyway, that's my spinner story!

I'd be very curious who that pitching coach is that you referenced. I can't think of anyone I know of in Akron Ohio, moreover it's been a very long time since Ohio has had any mens FP. I'm curious where I'd have pitched against him, I can't remember the last time I pitched in Ohio. Ashland hosted the Nationals in 2012 or so.... maybe that was it? I don't know.

So, with all due respect it's impossible to have an honest discussion about the differences of the "spinner" vs. the flat sided ball. They are designed to do the same thing, help with spin and help the pitcher see incorrect spin. And for my money, I'd rather use the flat sided ball where I can put my fingers on the ball similar to how I would in a game. The flat sided ball allows for a pitcher to virtually use the same grip as they would with a real ball, unlike the spinner. That is a much more realistic feel and way to correct. Even before the flat sided ball was created, I was not a fan of the spinner because I don't think spinning a glorified hockey puck is the same as spinning a ball in a real game.

Anyway, if you get a chance, let me know that guy's name. I'm rather curious.

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
Erie Bud has not had a team in Dunkirk in about 3 years. Believe me I would know The sponsor would sometimes put money into another team but that's very different from changing teams.... and he would NEVER change names of the team.
Right. 3 years ago, I looked for you as they said you were their manager. 2 years ago, they were Erie Bud players on another sponsored team, I believe.

Yea, i think the last year we went up there as Erie Bud, I was a player coach. I did a quick google search to see when the last time I was in Dunkirk was, I found this article from the last time I was there:

And this one from about 2 years before that, when I was still actively playing:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28