drop ball thingy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I still don't know if I understand this. How does a string help a pitcher get a feel for a drop? I have heard of contraptions of setting up string in front of the catcher and trying to make the ball go under the string but even that has never made any sense to me.

The object is to throw the ball over the string and then have it end up low at the plate. We used a lawn chair between the pitcher and the plate, and we put a bucket on its side with the opening facing the pitcher. . She tried to throw the ball over the chair and into the bucket.

It was a challenge, but she enjoyed. It was fun.

The string/rope/chair does two things.

First, the pitcher must release the ball at the correct height. If a drop ball is thrown too low, the batter won't swing. Batters are looking for balls thigh high or above. If the ball is knee high, the batter will probably take the pitch.

Second, it helps the pitcher work on getting enough spin on the ball to get the ball to drop. If there isn't enough spin on the ball, the ball will end up thigh high or waist high. If there is enough spin, the ball will go into the bucket.

If you use soda cans sitting on the corners of the plate, then the pitcher can work on control.

The great thing about using a rope/chair is that the pitcher can see the results without the need for the PC or Daddy to evaluate the pitch.

Sep 19, 2018
@sluggers
at what age was you dd able to do this? Not just do the drill but actually get it in the bucket on a regular / semi regular basis?

thanks

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@sluggers
at what age was you dd able to do this? Not just do the drill but actually get it in the bucket on a regular / semi regular basis?

thanks

The bucket is laying on its side with the opening facing the pitcher.

So, she stated hitting the top lip of the opening when she turned 16YOA. She was putting it in the bucket consistently around 16.5 YOA.

In college, she developed the skill to throw the drop at different levels. She was successful in college because of her control and her drop.

She used two bungee cords at home plate. The bungee cords were attached to a pitching net and extended parallel across the front of the plate.

The coach would adjust the distance between the two bungee cords. By the end of her sophomore year of college, the distance between the two cords would be approximately 4 inches.

The coach would move the bungee cords up and down.

The team's PC gave feedback on the "midpoint" pitch height.

I don't think bungee cords would work at home because Daddy might get killed. But, in college, it is great practice for the catcher in full gear.

The ball is deflected if it hits one of the the cord, so the catcher needs to be in full gear.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Bill, my opinion is that pitchers need to not only learn and understand the mechanics, they also need to feel (for lack of a better word) what they're doing as they do it and also see the results in real time. I believe this is the reasoning behind the string theory and why I'm giving it a try.
And, yes, the hockey puck ball has smushed in sides and a black circle around it to show axis. We use it as needed. IMO, spin and axis are keys and not so easy to get them right on a consistent basis. So, if I think a certain tool will help, I'm willing to try it. Just ask my DW. lol
Last year at Dunkirk was a down year but the city itself has improved a lot. It sits right on Lake Erie, so there's a great start. They have improved their fields and we're into the pitching, rather than the umping. I believe Erie Bud has a new name now.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
And, yes, the hockey puck ball has smushed in sides and a black circle around it to show axis.
Just buy a spin right spinner, but if you're throwing to a live catcher she / he better be fully kitted up, those spinners are hard and they hurt! But they definitely don't lie, they'll tell you right quick if you're sucking or not!

Anna's PC truly believed in the spinners, that was the only tool / trainer / gimmick she would use! As for the drop ball, which she was a drop ball pitcher in college, she was old fashioned, it was all about hard spin, release point, and body position. Her goal was to make every pitch look identical and for her girls to finish straight on their powerline!

I have never ever worn any gear, she would have Anna throw probably 30 to 40 drop balls every lesson, that last year was starting to get interesting, after every lesson when I'd get in the car without any knots or bleeding, it was a great lesson.......for me!

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, my opinion is that pitchers need to not only learn and understand the mechanics, they also need to feel (for lack of a better word) what they're doing as they do it and also see the results in real time. I believe this is the reasoning behind the string theory and why I'm giving it a try.
And, yes, the hockey puck ball has smushed in sides and a black circle around it to show axis. We use it as needed. IMO, spin and axis are keys and not so easy to get them right on a consistent basis. So, if I think a certain tool will help, I'm willing to try it. Just ask my DW. lol
Last year at Dunkirk was a down year but the city itself has improved a lot. It sits right on Lake Erie, so there's a great start. They have improved their fields and we're into the pitching, rather than the umping. I believe Erie Bud has a new name now.

I'm all for trying whatever works. I guess I'm just not picturing this device you're talking about correctly because i don't understand how it helps. But to be fair, I'm like that with A LOT of devices and contraptions out there. Everyone is always trying to build a better mousetrap. But, again, I can't say pros or con's about this thing cause I'm just not picturing it.

The ball with smushed sides is INFINITELY better than the spinner ever could be. That spinner is a useless tool in my opinion. The spinball thing is really good because the pitcher can still feel the seams on their fingers and get a good look at the rotation at release.

Erie Bud has not had a team in Dunkirk in about 3 years. Believe me I would know The sponsor would sometimes put money into another team but that's very different from changing teams.... and he would NEVER change names of the team. The tournament is no where near what it was even 5 years ago, and NOTHING like it was 15-20 years ago. But like all things in the world of men's softball, they die. I know Dunkirk had considered shutting the tournament down the last few years, struggling to get the 10 team minimum. And this year will be even worse (if they have the tournament due to the virus) because the Canadian dollar is at $1.50 or something... so the exchange rate will kill those teams ability to come. The other thing that hurts Dunkirk is their inability or refusal to adjust their weekend dates. Almost every year there are conflicts with other tournaments because of Pan Am games, or WBSC championships that force OTHER tournaments to change their dates. Sometimes those date changes for other, more reputable tournaments land on the same weekend as Dunkirk. If they would be flexible and move their tournament accordingly they may get more teams annually.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101