Drive Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
So Cal
Java,

Any recommendations for correcting knee valgus? I want to start DD on some of the exercises you laid out for drive mechanics. She is 15, 5'9" and 130 lbs with noticeable valgus, more so on the right knee. She complains sometimes of knee pain when doing speed and agility workouts. Hoping to get it corrected before any major injury occurs.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Java, On the redcord workout, 6-8 reps X 4 sets. Do you go through all the exercises once and go back and repeat or do each exercise four times and move on to the next. This may be a dumb question but...... Thx

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Java,

Any recommendations for correcting knee valgus? I want to start DD on some of the exercises you laid out for drive mechanics. She is 15, 5'9" and 130 lbs with noticeable valgus, more so on the right knee. She complains sometimes of knee pain when doing speed and agility workouts. Hoping to get it corrected before any major injury occurs.

Hey Big J,

Didn't see this until this evening.. really sorry to keep you waiting for a response.

Proprioception exercises are what I find best. We need to challenge the athletes stability... and require that they perform quality movements under this condition.

As we interact with the ground for this stability... it makes sense to remove the stability it provides. Think along the lines of challenging her balance...

Pistol Squats with a sole focus on technique QUALITY (not allowing the knee to valgus) are my personal favorites.
There is also a Jump Plyo routine in this thread... again... the focus in quality over quantity.

From there... I've also had great success with removing the ground... as we know it.

Bosu ball routines are great for this... as they also address underlying weaknesses in the ankles... which often cause knee issues.
As you may have seen... I also use the redcord... and there are a ton of great suspension exercises for increased proprioception.

Click through this thread from beginning to end... and you'll find a bunch of great starting routines... as well as some advanced stuff.

BTW, absolutely love that you are taking the initiative to correct this... it will pay you back in spades. Best ~JS

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Java, On the redcord workout, 6-8 reps X 4 sets. Do you go through all the exercises once and go back and repeat or do each exercise four times and move on to the next. This may be a dumb question but...... Thx

go4,

Yes. Do 1 set of each exercise, in order. Rinse and repeat 4x.

Progression, progression, progression. Make sure performing eight is nearly impossible for her. 6 is your target when setting a new difficulty... and 8 is your cue to make it harder.

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
Lean, Fall, and Sprint Progression

Technical Instructions:
-Start with the body in a completely vertical orientation.
-Next make sure not to break at the hip and keep your weight on the front of your foot.
-Fall forward until you reach a body angle of roughly 45 degrees.
-Drive the swing leg forward and accelerate as fast as possible.

[video=youtube_share;m73IkiXVK-A]http://youtu.be/m73IkiXVK-A[/video]

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
Level #2-Lean, Fall, and Sprint Progression

The Lean, Fall, and Sprint Progression is a great sprinting technique to address proper body lean, knee angle or bend, and acceleration. This particular variation forces the athlete to react to the release and begin accelerating.

Technical Instructions:
-Create a vertical body position and fall forward till you reach an angle of 45 degrees or slightly greater.
-Make sure not to collapse at the lumbar spine and brace your core.
-Initiate acceleration as soon as your partner quits supporting you.

[video=youtube_share;C_rGeLbI1XI]http://youtu.be/C_rGeLbI1XI[/video]

Oct 1, 2014
USA
This is such an incredibly beneficial thread, the amount of information contained is truly amazing. How can we re-establish the photos that go along with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802