Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is he even coaching? It would seem the league administrators should have had him removed long ago.

Sep 8, 2020
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Grabbing a kid in a high emotional situation is never a good idea, in any situation really.

Was the Coach impaired?

Alcohol in the dugout is not a good coaching decision to be sure.

Save those kind of refreshments to after the tournament.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I think I would try to have a parent's meeting. Come to a group understanding. I would definitely want the coach removed. If he is the money man, then that complicates things, but what he did was child-abuse in my book. A class-action civil suite is possible. I forget what it is called.

As to parents? This isn't 1950, and a lot of parents have no or malleable convictions today. Even in the 1980's I had 2 girls, my #1 and 2 batters shoplift in 5 stores in our team uniforms. I kicked them off the team the week before the State championships. Of the 13 remaining sets of parents, only 2 supported me. The others were between "stupid" and "livid". I didn't care, I still had my standards.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think I would try to have a parent's meeting. Come to a group understanding. I would definitely want the coach removed. If he is the money man, then that complicates things, but what he did was child-abuse in my book. A class-action civil suite is possible. I forget what it is called.

As to parents? This isn't 1950, and a lot of parents have no or malleable convictions today. Even in the 1980's I had 2 girls, my #1 and 2 batters shoplift in 5 stores in our team uniforms. I kicked them off the team the week before the State championships. Of the 13 remaining sets of parents, only 2 supported me. The others were between "stupid" and "livid". I didn't care, I still had my standards.
Kelly Leak would have blown cigarette smoke in your face and pop a wheelie in the infield.
leak.jpg

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Even in the 1980's I had 2 girls, my #1 and 2 batters shoplift in 5 stores in our team uniforms. I kicked them off the team the week before the State championships. Of the 13 remaining sets of parents, only 2 supported me. The others were between "stupid" and "livid". I didn't care, I still had my standards.
@Big Q ~ way to have standards and backbone to implement !

Unfortunately for whatever the reasons why certain coaches cant/dont tackle adversity is another mystery like the bermuda triangle.
They seem to lose their bearings!

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Would you expect your fees to be refunded due to the nature of the incident? Money has not been spent and was just paid earlier in the day that the incident occurred.

Expect? I would leave the team and DEMAND that fees be refunded in full immediately!!! Any further conversation on the matter should begin with "The police are on their way." This is inexcusable. This is not a parent watching his/her own child with a beer in hand. This is an adult responsible for every child on the field and no alcohol (or any other substance) should be in the system. I am not a lawyer, but I have to think that when we add the grabbing, we clearly have a criminal offense. How did anyone let this "coach" get away with having a cooler of beer in the dugout???!!!!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Used to have coaches who smoked in the dugout.
Can remember those cig's out on the field coaches finishing them walking to the coaching boxes.
One particular coach smoked Winston no filters.
Still have my team jacket with a little burn hole from standing next to the coach.
Now no cigarettes allowed at the fields.
People have to hoof it to the parking lot to smoke.

Things can change if people want it to.

This drinking story imo
is really a group of parents who were completely fine with it. Which means....
Pick your next team wisely!
Pick what fits you!
Check them out befor handing over a check!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28