Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Oh, we are so completely soft! Because you know, they’re winning! Who cares what it takes to get there. HC refuses to address the issue previously and now this has happened. The parents of the one girl who was directly involved are leaving the team, but HC says the players are lying and is holding their fees for the season. I am simply amazed by it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an assistant coach on a TB team, there is all kinds of things going on that I am having a hard time getting my head around - I can't imagine drinking during practice, games, having a cooler of beer in a dugout, etc. If the girls were "interviewed" separately and they all have the same story, my question is - who talked to these girls independently? Apparently HC wasn't one of them since stories all matched up and HC still says girls are lying. Sounds like the coaching staff needs to be taken behind the woodshed and explained a few things.....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
'Coach Schlitz' leads the team in a cheer...
73 bottolzz of beer on tttha wallll
7 burp 3 bottolz a beeeeerrr
take ummmm dooowwnnn
Spinning arounddd
burp
Stumble, stagger
Lettts goo theam ca'mon

Is the problem the one person drinking while coaching or the group continuing to attend and participate with it ?!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Get the organization involved, if they won’t do anything then Fike a safe sport. Drinking is one thing but putting your hands on my kid is another. Speaking from experience, assistant coach put hands on my kid, organization and hc refused to do anything, even with witnesses, it was the last inning my kid played for that team and organization, and the last that she ever will. There’s no excuse for it, and it shouldn’t be tolerated ever.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In this regard DD has been lucky with her coaches, I am not sure how I would react.

DD not playing again would be a given. Not sure if I would get involved in other people's business.

DW and me struggled with a different Issue and called CPS on one of our neighbors, it was a difficult decision and took us a while to get there.

Different but I dislike players being left alone with me. Way back when I used to pickup kids to drive them to practice. I am not getting in car with another player unless DD is with me. Sad how the world has become.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Any drinking alcohol on a field by a Coach should be reported immediately to head coach and the head coach should take it to the head of the organization. Head of the organization should dismiss the coach if the allegations are verified and true. Seriously this is nonnegotiable and there is no politically correct way to handle this. Even the head coach having a talk with the assistant telling him to refrain is to little. If you are not responsible enough To go for 2 hours without a beverage then there is an issue and you should not be coaching. I won’t even get into grabbing a girl by the arm. Unacceptable at any level not just 10u.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If I remember correctly there is no organization, independent Team.

Poster is stating what they think of other Team, I lean heavily to let them do what they want.

Not right environment for DD but I would hope these kids have other choices.

Mar 28, 2020
The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

How can anyone be shocked that something like that happen from a person who can't make it though a practice without downing a six pack...............the parents have made a decision his behavior is appropriate and they are fine with his actions.....if not they would have left and he wouldn't be coaching......there are other teams and other coaches

May 23, 2018

The Good news is that organizations such as this will not sustain itself. The organizations that are around for 20 to 30 years Are ones that are set up as a 501(c)(3) corporation. This inebriate is probably great at recruiting but not much else. Has this great winning team which probably will not sustain itself. I’ve been coaching and umpiring for more than 40 years and I’ve seen organizations come and go.
I am more disappointed in the young girl’s parents. What is the message that they’re sending to not only their daughter, but every girl on the team? Meaning is more important than everything else? They should’ve come and filed a criminal complaint against a coach and seek a restraining order keeping him away from every girl on the team.

May 23, 2018
The Good news is that organizations such as this will not sustain itself. The organizations that are around for 20 to 30 years Are ones that are set up as a 501(c)(3) corporation. This inebriate is probably great at recruiting but not much else. Has this great winning team which probably will not sustain itself. I’ve been coaching and umpiring for more than 40 years and I’ve seen organizations come and go.
I am more disappointed in the young girl’s parents. What is the message that they’re sending to not only their daughter, but every girl on the team? Meaning is more important than everything else? They should’ve come and filed a criminal complaint against a coach and seek a restraining order keeping him away from every girl on the team.
Forgive my talk to text

Feb 27, 2019
i agree with most everyone here, get the parents that agree to all demand the guy leaves or they do. If this were a tournament I'd drop a tip with the director about the beverage and see if he/she would remove the coach as well. I don't think many TDs are going to stand by on that. The shaking may be harder to catch since it may be a one off. When they team gets bounced from tournaments over sir-sips-a lot it might cause some action. I'd also drop a tip to the local PD about a guy drinking at the ball fields and driving home, practice time means you know driving time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee