Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Does this guy have a kid on the team? Does he drink and then get in the car to drive her home? There is an obligation there by everyone, especially the HC, to report this for the safety of the child.

No offense but I am picturing a very rural community here where a 10U softball coach is “the man” and this is allowed to happen. A very good ol boy club where parents are all friends.

May 23, 2015
So it really interesting to see the comments on this situation. I read about this incident on the softball moms FB group and those women were going nuts about what happened.

The reason I say it’s interesting is bc all of the comments in here have mostly been from dads and they were pretty calm and collected. Now with some of those moms youd think the spawn of satan had been released. I guess its true when someone says, “hell has no fury like a softball mom scorned” haha.
This is all social media is good for. It's herd mentality. One disagrees others are compelled to disagree. One is enraged all are enraged.

The OPdoesnt have a dog in the fight so I would stay out of it. The team on the otherhand needs to deal with it IF the accusations are true. Im a bit skeptical and I don't use second or third hand information

Jul 14, 2019
This is all social media is good for. It's herd mentality. One disagrees others are compelled to disagree. One is enraged all are enraged.

The OPdoesnt have a dog in the fight so I would stay out of it. The team on the otherhand needs to deal with it IF the accusations are true. Im a bit skeptical and I don't use second or third hand information

You’re exactly right, i don’t have a dog in the fight & never have considered myself to be involved. I was merely asking for the insight of other parents and coaches as to the situation and how they would handle it. Really, more interested in coaches opinions & how they would address that situation if it happened with another coach on their team. I agree that it needs to be handled as a team, by the team. I will say, this is a team that is in our area and I don’t doubt for a second that the accusations are true. I would absolutely say that they are true and more that isn’t discussed openly. As for the social media post, I saw it as well and it wasn’t one to point fingers or accusations. It was simply a mother stating what happened and asking other mothers what they would do in the same situation. No names were given, no teams pointed out. I don’t have a problem with that, it was in a private group that was for the intended audience. It is no different than if i were to have a question about how to approach a car dealership on an issue or the like in a private car enthusiast group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Personally, I would try to get several parents (as many as possible) to request a meeting with the HC and present him with the evidence; the grabbing/shaking of the child and the drinking. Tell him that the drinking coach goes or the team folds. But only say that if you're willing to follow through and leave the team. HC is taking this way too lightly and he could wind up as a defendant in a lawsuit if something bad happens to a child on this team.

May 23, 2015
You’re exactly right, i don’t have a dog in the fight & never have considered myself to be involved. I was merely asking for the insight of other parents and coaches as to the situation and how they would handle it. Really, more interested in coaches opinions & how they would address that situation if it happened with another coach on their team. I agree that it needs to be handled as a team, by the team. I will say, this is a team that is in our area and I don’t doubt for a second that the accusations are true. I would absolutely say that they are true and more that isn’t discussed openly. As for the social media post, I saw it as well and it wasn’t one to point fingers or accusations. It was simply a mother stating what happened and asking other mothers what they would do in the same situation. No names were given, no teams pointed out. I don’t have a problem with that, it was in a private group that was for the intended audience. It is no different than if i were to have a question about how to approach a car dealership on an issue or the like in a private car enthusiast group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were definitely on the same page. I was commenting on the role of social media in general. Were in strange times where taking someone down is more satisfying that seeking the truth. Maybe the coach needs help. Maybe its all lies. Maybe somewhere in the middle. The same condemning are often the same committing

From the outside looking in Ill bet its sour grapes. I cant imagine a full team of kids and parents would sit back and watch the dumpster fire

Mar 10, 2020
Drinking being allowed set the tone for this entire scenario.
Every parent who allowed their kid to participate accepted the consequence of that choice.
Which took away common sence boundaries.
How many parents would be willing to raise they're hand to that. Instead point at the one guy who maybe has a problem. Hypocrites.
"Hey you can drink, but dont touch the players."

Oct 4, 2018
Drinking on the field, during games or practices, by any member of the coaching staff is unacceptable. If it is something that is known about a certain coach, I would not even consider having my DD on that team. If it is something I found out about after joining the team, we would be leaving that team immediately.

There is a time for adults to drink. On the field with young athletes is not it. Ever.

As for the physically grabbing and shaking thing...that's also completely unacceptable. Possibly criminal.

Criminal acts all over the place.

We'd be gone so fast. And reporting it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802