Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2016
The organization is just this daddy, and his brother who has an older team. There is no governing body, board, etc. No oversight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I had assumed when I said pack up and go. It should happen collectively as a large group or otherwise its a he said she said deal. I would want fees back but that’s probably only going to happen if a large numbers ave and demand it.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Our rec league required every HC, AC, and any "helpful parent" who was on the field with the kids, go through the ASA background check process. The background check for coaching HS is even more stringent, eliminating some who passed the ASA check.

After 6 years in the world of TB, the only org I've seen require any kind of credential (a background check) is ASA. That was one time, 6 years ago, at a Nationals event. Subsequent ASA/USA events, including State-level tournaments, have not had this requirement, nor has any other org.
Odd. USA (Asa) I order to coach or have a team you must go through the background check as well as ACE training and concussion training (in our state). You can’t register your team to play in a USA softball tournament unless the HC and assistants have completed all of that........so IF playing USAS you’ve at least started from that point
Granted some local tournaments haven’t checked credentials of coaches or players. But I’m the last couple years that’s been
Changing. The bigger tournaments and definitely state they checked credentials of all players and coaches and coaches had to wear them at all times and could only be on field or dugout if credentialed

I think some of it depends on the TD and area

there’s a lot of “trust” in people and unfortunately some
Abuse that trust.

I’d pull my DD immediately. That’s not a healthy environment for those kids.....

Nov 18, 2013
The best course of action would be to either drop it or go to their practices and games to witness it firsthand. Then if it’s true you can report it.

IME when parents quit and complain about about a coach or team it’s almost always exaggerated and oftentimes completely made up to justify their actions.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
So it really interesting to see the comments on this situation. I read about this incident on the softball moms FB group and those women were going nuts about what happened.

The reason I say it’s interesting is bc all of the comments in here have mostly been from dads and they were pretty calm and collected. Now with some of those moms youd think the spawn of satan had been released. I guess its true when someone says, “hell has no fury like a softball mom scorned” haha.

Feb 3, 2016
I knew a coach that doubled up on a Xanax prescription and drinks at virtually every tournament between the games. Not uncommon for 6 or 12 pack (or more) on top of the script abuse each tournament day. The parents know about it and most don't seem to care.

A few parents had issues throughout the years. The irrational behavior was to much for some kids and parents to take. They didn't know which person they were being coached by to day to day.

Openly bragged about cutting everyone from a previous team except for his daughter and one other kid. Replaced them all by upgrading every spot. Still calls out these former players on FB and calls them undeserving, spoiled. Got what they deserved.

Kicked out of several games each season. Threatening to quit on the team several times each Fall and Summer because they weren't competitive as they should've been.

Threatened people face to face, and in texts. Kicked out of FB groups for telling former parents they were basically dumb. If 2020 needed a coach to represent it, it would be this coach. Softball Superstar "Hall of Shame" candidate.

Why would someone pay to subject their kid to a coach like this year after year? I'm sure the reasoning makes sense to them... must be the hat!?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
Who's holding my bail money if that coach grabbed my DD?

in all seriousness, no place for coaches to be drinking on the field or dug out. and it's just worse with 10U. coach needs to go, or all just leave him so he can coach, Coors, Miller, Bud and Molson. I hear they need some pitching help.

Jul 14, 2019
The best course of action would be to either drop it or go to their practices and games to witness it firsthand. Then if it’s true you can report it.

IME when parents quit and complain about about a coach or team it’s almost always exaggerated and oftentimes completely made up to justify their actions.

I have witnessed the drinking at previous tournaments so i know to the point that it happens. And i didn’t lost this to ask if
I should report it. I was asking to see what others would do, coaches and parents alike.

Jul 14, 2019
So it really interesting to see the comments on this situation. I read about this incident on the softball moms FB group and those women were going nuts about what happened.

The reason I say it’s interesting is bc all of the comments in here have mostly been from dads and they were pretty calm and collected. Now with some of those moms youd think the spawn of satan had been released. I guess its true when someone says, “hell has no fury like a softball mom scorned” haha.

Yes, true. My wife told me about it also. That is why I fought it up here. I wanted to see collectively what the census would be from parents and coaches alike.

May 6, 2015
That is where I’m so torn! I completely understand and agree with you. But if the actual parents involved aren’t reporting it to anyone, then do i get involved? I know that sounds ridiculous to even be contemplating. But like everyone also says, softball is a small community and word travels quick. I have not heard the coach’s side of the story. But the drinking I have witnessed first hand.

yes, report it. trust you will sleep better, and if you dont and something escalates, you will not forgive yourself. check around, but you can probably report anonymously (at least unless it leads to actual legal action, and if it goes that far, reporting was obviously the right thing to do).

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
The parent of the assaulted child should be driving this. It's not "he said she said" if there is a police report for child abuse on record within minutes of the incident. That should have been reported immediately. Had that have been done, the alcohol and mental state would be documented also when he was interviewed by the responding officers.

Ultimately this needs to be handled up front by all of the parents on the team. Especially if this is an independent team with no oversight.

As parents, we HAVE to stand up for our children's safety and the safety of the children on the team. Is being on a team more important than your child's safety?

As for the fees, same thing as above. You can take them to small claims court and you might get your money, but if there was a police report documenting the incident, there would be no question.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad