Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A wise person once told me that the first priority in youth sports is the safety of the kids.

I would think any coach stepping on the field would require some credentials (USSSA/ASA/local municipality, etc.) The minute there was any "shaking " or physical contact in this manner that dude should should have those credentials pulled.

I understand the guy may need help, but safety of those kids come first. Work out the rest afterward.

Our rec league required every HC, AC, and any "helpful parent" who was on the field with the kids, go through the ASA background check process. The background check for coaching HS is even more stringent, eliminating some who passed the ASA check.

After 6 years in the world of TB, the only org I've seen require any kind of credential (a background check) is ASA. That was one time, 6 years ago, at a Nationals event. Subsequent ASA/USA events, including State-level tournaments, have not had this requirement, nor has any other org.

Jul 14, 2019
I understand it's not your team, but if you have actual knowledge of this, you should do something about it. I understand you are probably not a "mandatory reporter" in this situation, but I can't imagine knowing about this and not doing something.

That is where I’m so torn! I completely understand and agree with you. But if the actual parents involved aren’t reporting it to anyone, then do i get involved? I know that sounds ridiculous to even be contemplating. But like everyone also says, softball is a small community and word travels quick. I have not heard the coach’s side of the story. But the drinking I have witnessed first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
That is where I’m so torn! I completely understand and agree with you. But if the actual parents involved aren’t reporting it to anyone, then do i get involved? I know that sounds ridiculous to even be contemplating. But like everyone also says, softball is a small community and word travels quick. I have not heard the coach’s side of the story. But the drinking I have witnessed first hand.

If that coach punches a kid in the face next game how would you feel knowing that you knew about this and did nothing...

May 4, 2020
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Coach with drinking issue should be dismissed immediately. In what Galaxy is it ok to drink in front of kids while coaching no less at practices/games?
Coaches should never lay hand on kids unless for a high-five or some kind of throwing/batting instruction.
If that was my kid that was accosted the coach would be eating through a straw.

Apr 20, 2015
Wow! I would report the coach to the parent organization and encourage any parents who actually witnessed the event to do the same or even report to the child abuse holiness. No one would ever touch my child in that manner and live to tell about it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2019
Wow! I would report the coach to the parent organization and encourage any parents who actually witnessed the event to do the same or even report to the child abuse holiness. No one would ever touch my child in that manner and live to tell about it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There is no parent organization. There in lies a problem.

Nov 8, 2018
Both should be fired for negligence. The head coach for keeping the drunk around and the drunk for being drunk during games and practices.
You can’t drink around minors and coach them. That is ludicrous.

Jul 14, 2019
Both should be fired for negligence. The head coach for keeping the drunk around and the drunk for being drunk during games and practices.
You can’t drink around minors and coach them. That is ludicrous.

Theres no one to fire them. Head coach is judge, jury and executioner. It’s his world, they all just live in it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28