Drinking coach gone too far? What next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am amazed at the number of parents on the team who know about it, have issue with it yet never address it and allow it to continue to happen simply because “hey, we’re winning all the tournaments”. There are other teams in town with much better environments, but medals are valued higher than the lessons learned when playing youth sports.

What age group? EDIT: I see now...10U.

Chasing trophies at 10U is the WRONG priority, but it's sounding like quite a few priorities are a mess.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Was it this guy?
a32c95a123217966c8112c1b90d09796.jpg

I mean I guess it was cute in a 1976 movie when I was a kid.

But drinking in the dugout or on the field has no place in youth sports. Either the coach is gone or I'm finding another team.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I’m gonna preface this with the fact that this is not a team that I am on! It’s just a scenario I recently became aware of and I’m interested to see how you all feel it should be handled on all aspects: as a parent, as a coach, as a team parent.

Here’s the situation. Recent weekend tournament, first year 10u team. Girl gets out with a questionable call on base. Frustrations are high of course. She’s upset, returns to the dugout, end of half inning. Shortly thereafter, she comes to her parents visibly upset that a coach in the dugout grabbed her by her arms, shook her and yelled at her for the play. Upon further review, there were other girls in the dugout who gave the same story (they were even questioned separately from one another, stories matched), and coach was drinking. The drinking is a very much known issue that the head coach has never addressed. And by drinking we are talking 6 pack in a cooler in the dugout for practices and taken on the field in a cup during games.

The parents are shocked that it happened to begin with but at a loss as to how to handle it or what is even an appropriate action on both sides.

What say you? What do you think the HC should do in this situation? What should the girl’s parents do? And what is an appropriate response for other parents who are aware of the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The drinking coach has a disease. I grew up a drunk but fortunately had quit by the time coaching came around.

Head coach and parents need to get help for the drunk! Also they need to get him/her off the field before someone gets hurt even more seriously.

Jul 14, 2019
What is all this"pack up and go" stuff? The coach needs to be the one gone, not the kid. I can't believe this is even a question quite frankly. Are we that soft nowadays that no one will take a stand against a drunk coach? Seriously?

Oh, we are so completely soft! Because you know, they’re winning! Who cares what it takes to get there. HC refuses to address the issue previously and now this has happened. The parents of the one girl who was directly involved are leaving the team, but HC says the players are lying and is holding their fees for the season. I am simply amazed by it all!

May 6, 2015
What is all this"pack up and go" stuff? The coach needs to be the one gone, not the kid. I can't believe this is even a question quite frankly. Are we that soft nowadays that no one will take a stand against a drunk coach? Seriously?
I would have no problem standing up, but ultimately it is HCs team. if HC will do nothing, only thing left for parents/players to do is walk

Mar 28, 2014
Oh, we are so completely soft! Because you know, they’re winning! Who cares what it takes to get there. HC refuses to address the issue previously and now this has happened. The parents of the one girl who was directly involved are leaving the team, but HC says the players are lying and is holding their fees for the season. I am simply amazed by it all!

Time for the police to get involved so the head coach takes it a little more seriously. Oh, and maybe the local newspaper gets a tip..................

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Heard through the grapevine it is easier to get coaches than a group of girls who like playing together. Toss the bums :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802