Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I see people asking about drills, myself included, all of the time here. When I was on another discussion board, they had a section just for drills. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a section or "sticky???" of drills for hitting and what the intention of each drill is. If you have questions, variations,or disagreements about particular drills, they could be part of a new thread. If the person that posted the drill feels then they want to edit their post, they could go back in and do so. (You have to pay to be a member of the other site).
Just a thought.

T

theaddition

I see people asking about drills, myself included, all of the time here. When I was on another discussion board, they had a section just for drills. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a section or "sticky???" of drills for hitting and what the intention of each drill is. If you have questions, variations,or disagreements about particular drills, they could be part of a new thread. If the person that posted the drill feels then they want to edit their post, they could go back in and do so. (You have to pay to be a member of the other site).
Just a thought.

here is one such drill (that should be stickatized):
Tewks-One-Knee-Hitting-2010-11-10-1.mp4

Watch until he performs the drill on 1 knee (around the 30 second mark).
Pay close attention to how he carries out this drill.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
2yuksjm.gif

either drill

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
[video]http://www.stack.com/video/1472377570/SingleArm-Soft-Toss-Drill-With-Jimmy-Rollins/[/video]

single arm soft toss

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
More drills please.. In the past, and even now, when working on the slot to pivot part of the swing, i have taught pinch, slot to knob lag, to hinge, or pivot point. Last night i tried "turning the barrel". my proccess, it seems to be much like the Tewks guy.
I seem to use matix type drills alot. I perform this area of the swing with an open balanced stance, toes toward pitcher.

It seems Tewks, has eliminated the knob part, breaking down this part of the swing to just "turning the barrel".
Is it , Slot, then turn the barrel? You must also i believe, give them the cue "turn the shoulders" to turn the barrel.

What drills are there for this part of the swing??

Down swing from this, i use the "katie drill' its a"hitters box" extension drill. Teaches the Opptimum contact point.

kate&spark : Baseball Batting Tees Video - YouTube

Working with one hitter at time is very enjoyable. Its when you get 18 at once, and must get all the station set up, all of them doing the drills correctly, with the other 2 coaches only knowing squish the bug, swing down till contact, that it gets pretty stessfull.

The key to some stress relief is LOTS of enjoyable productive drills.

So can we fill up this thread with tons of drills please??

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Mann, little off subject, but with you having a team also, I really recommend John Tshisda' "Hitting Drills" dvd. It is pricey (got mine from one of hit clinics for $65), but it is worth it (all 4 hours). The index is way cool. You can search by problem...like bat drag, it will then list all the chapters and drills the describe and help fix the problem, click on one and it skips right to it.

Now Tschida dosen't get into "high level swing" talk that we do, but John was a fellow mens fp player and make no doubt, he developes average softball players into great players. He has had offers to big D1 colleges and has chosen to stay at his small D3. He says "I love to teach softball, not manage all stars."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28