Drills vs Full Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
I found a Tincher coach about an hour away. She said she is very drill oriented. Is this common of all Tincher coaches?

For the pitching experts out there, do you prefer drills or practicing full motion to teach girls to pitch?

Oct 26, 2019
I would think if they are doing an hour lesson then there would be a mixture of drills and full motion. My DD goes to a Tincher instructor and I would say it’s about half and half. When he identifies a problem in her mechanics they usually go to a drill to break it down to smaller parts and then build back up to the full motion.

Nov 18, 2015
I don't have more than a group lesson or two experience with a Tincher coach, but I'm under the impression they're not doing drills just to do drills. The drills are used to fix a specific issue.

If she already has the IR motion down, then I would expect any drills used might be to correct posture, or fix things like glove swim. If you arrive for your first lesson, and the instructor has her only doing drills, and doesn't bother to take the time to see what her full motion even looks like, then I think you'd have reason for concern.

Nov 8, 2018
Generally speaking drills are designed to work on aspects of the pitching motion. It’s important to do the drill then incorporate the improved movement into the full motion. If it’s not integrated how is it supposed to work. Rhetorical question. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
The warm up routine does start without any 'legs' so someone might consider that a drill.

I've seen coach use a modified "9:00 drill" with one student, though in general, i don't think Tinchers uses that method to teach palm up. Maybe this was a stubborn case. We've done isolated or "dry" push offs a couple of times. (When we first started, then our first couple of lessons of the new season.

In the beginning, and when she switched ball sized we did a lot of throwing into a tarp.

But I don't think we do a lot of drills at all.

cmn

Feb 5, 2019
We go to Tincher instructor. ~30 mins is drills and ~30 mins are full pitches. Alot of the time were there over an hour

May 23, 2015
A lot of drills waste a lot of time and money, while the "instructor" collects the cash for doing next to nothing...... just chewing the clock for your kid's session.
Very very true

Drills are supposed to be building blocks for more controlled reps. It's easy to over use them. That said 1hr is a long time for full motion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee